Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:42 AM   #1

Default Some autumnal "critters" & more

With cooler days and autumn rains, have seen a lot of signs of the approaching natural "harvest." Here are some random shots from this week, showcasing the busy activities of the wild things preparing for the cold to come.
First a bit of autumnal folklore. The Persimmons are ripe, full of sweet food and full of seeds. The old story goes that the shape of the inside is a forecast of the coming winter. If the tiny tree embryo is shaped like a knife, it will be cold and dry ("cold cutting winds"). If it's shaped like a spoon, it will be snowy ('spoon lots of snow"). And if it's shaped like a fork, it will be mild ("you can take your fork outside and eat"). Take a look, and see what our forecast is!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:43 AM   #2

Groundhogs are certainly getting fat these days - good "insurance" against the cold!
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:44 AM   #3

GB Herons seem much less shy - even an impatient photographer like me can get pretty close. Perhaps they are more intent on their prey than on us...
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:45 AM   #4

Of course the Bumblebees are very busy getting the last of the season's nectar and pollen from the later-blooming Asters.
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:46 AM   #5

And the Wild Turkeys are out in the fields, fattening on seeds and "bugs."
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:47 AM   #6

Mushrooms sprout fast in the cool and damp, and are just as quickly consumed by the hungry chipmunks, box turtles, and slugs.
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:50 AM   #7

Autumn is usually not the best time to enjoy our waterfalls, but last weekend's heavy storms brought enough runoff to make it worth checking out Laurel Run & Kiner Creek falls in the Fall!
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:52 AM   #8

Down in the cool recesses of Kiner Creek, the late-season berry crop is ripening, awaiting some hungry "critter" to spread the seeds. Notice that the partridge berry has two blossom ends - it takes two blooms to make one berry!
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:53 AM   #9

It's still a week or two until autumn colors really start "popping out." Hope you enjoyed this early autumn stroll, and that your outdoor places are also thriving!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:29 AM   #10

Mole more great shots and nice stories! I enjoyed the story of the persimmon fruit being used for weather forecasting. Those mushroom shots are terrific.

Being a member of the Tennessee Squires since 1978, I have over the years received many strange Tennessee artifacts and letters of local folklore (From poke sallet to black eyed Pees) ,all according to Jack Daniels were found growing on the plot of land they deeded to me in the hollow down in Lynchburg TN (The picture they sent of my plot of land was taken from an orbiting satellite). LOL (Tennessee Squires is a public relations spoof of the Jack Daniels Co. In Lynchburg TN

As long as we are on the subject of weather forecasting I will include a link to a story of this yearís "Old Farmerís Almanac" prediction that seems in conflict with that of NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association) and tells a little about using nature to forecast the weather.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rsalmanac.html

Another fabulous series!

Lou

P.S. (My drink of choice is Iced Tea)
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote