Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default K-7 review up at DP Review

K-7 review is up at DP review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
K-7 review is up at DP review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/
. . . and a nice review it is. . . not many complaints over there on the P Talk Forum, except for some minor nitpicking. I'm glad they compared it to the D300 and 50D instead of bodies that I consider to be at least a half level down in features.

I think the review accurately reflects most of the impressions from users here and on other fora.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
. . . and a nice review it is. . . not many complaints over there on the P Talk Forum, except for some minor nitpicking. I'm glad they compared it to the D300 and 50D instead of bodies that I consider to be at least a half level down in features.

I think the review accurately reflects most of the impressions from users here and on other fora.

Scott
I agree. I think they compared it to cameras in their class...the D300 and the 50D. It is a very thorough review, excellent testing format used...I thought it was an accurate assessment of the K7.

I'm still waiting for Pop Photo's full test and review...can't believe it's taking this long.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:08 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post

I'm still waiting for Pop Photo's full test and review...can't believe it's taking this long.
Do you really find the Pop Photo reviews very useful? I never did. Like most magazines, every piece of gear seems to get a review saying it's the best piece of gear ever made. It seemed like the only close-to-critical comment they would ever make is price. For my part I'm much more interested in some of the internet reviews and hands-on reviews from people using the gear.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

Back in the day, Pop Photo did some great reviews of film cameras and especially lens reviews. In my opinion at least, those days are over and I don't find their reviews worth reading any more.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Do you really find the Pop Photo reviews very useful? I never did. Like most magazines, every piece of gear seems to get a review saying it's the best piece of gear ever made. It seemed like the only close-to-critical comment they would ever make is price. For my part I'm much more interested in some of the internet reviews and hands-on reviews from people using the gear.
I look at the tests and the graphs rather than the text of pop photo.

I've been checking out pop photo and Modern photo (when they existed) since the late '60's.

I don't dismiss Pop Photo or any source for that matter...to me they are all different resources and I like to think when I review anything, I'm always looking for the evidence of why they say it, to determine if there is any credibility.

I also talk to and look at the end results...the pix of people I know who have particular equipment. There is quite a good group of advanced amateur photogs in my area and we spend a lot of time reviewing each other's pix with a critical eye.



Another source of info is Dpreviews and also the web sight that compares the different camera's and lens using pix at different ISO, taken using similar lighting.

I also use flikr pix to check out different lens/camera bodies quality.

Right now I'm checking out the Sigma 10-20 and Pentax 10-17 Fisheye. I may get one of these lenses...but as always I take my time, check out many sources, being aware of possible bias.

In my professional career (not a photographer) I used an analytical approach, assessing, weighing evidence and always using more than one source of info.

Retired now, but I find the general criteria and process used to analyze data is essentially the same.

I find if you just use one, or a couple of sources of info you could be shortchanging yourself.


I also need to add that the members of this forum and the Pentax forum have been very helpful and informative re; equipment selection, etc.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other resources that I access regularly.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

looks like a great camera. well-done Pentax.

i really don't look at photo-mags anymore. i get 99% of my information online through sites like this 1 and dpreview. and some of the sites that compile user-review.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:48 AM.