Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:40 PM   #1
daz

Default October monthly challenge.

Challenge people without the people.

In the last few months we have had technical like DOF and subject like composition (odd numbers, things like that). These things are to help us tell a story so this month (if I can get the idea across to all of you) is to tell a story about people with out any people. That is a photo that you know people were there but not now. Some examples: footsteps in the sand leading off to some place, a paper on a park bench (like someone was reading it), a playground toy in motion that the children have just left.

So this month challenge is go make an interesting photo that tells any story you like about people without the people.

Normal rules apply - pictures have to be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR no more than 90 days ago. Please have the longest side sized to 800 pixels, that keeps things easier to judge. There are no restrictions on processing.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:46 PM   #2

Wow, what a great topic! Offhand I don't know what I'm going to do, so I'll have to spend some time pondering. Great idea Daz!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3

I might change this to another picture later on, but thought I'd start with this one. Do I ever have a lot of possibilities having visited Bodie State Historical Park last month. This is one where I was actually thinking about this type of thing when I took the picture.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:42 PM   #4

A really interesting challenge this month (that sounds wrong, all challenges are interesting!).

You see, normally I look through what I've already taken or wander off in search of inspiration. But this month I keep finding myself thinking about "staging" the photograph. Something that has never crossed my mind before. So unless I get a lucky break this month, it might mean a few props will be needed.

What's more by posting the above drivel, I've bumped the topic!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:08 PM   #5
daz

Default Fading echoes.

Fading echoes of a distant past from a place that luckily only the heard the far-off tempest.

I changed my photo. I think to last one was to much a downer for the group. Observation bunker from about 65 years ago on the beach in American Samoa .

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.

Last edited by daz; Oct 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM. Reason: To morbid I think.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:18 PM   #6

Wow! I wondered if you would have a chance to take some pictures. One can't help but feel for the people who lived there - so many hopes and dreams shattered in a moment, but that seems to be the way of the world.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:58 PM   #7

So sad, I hope there is hope.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:39 PM   #8
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
So sad, I hope there is hope.
Other then the casualties (most everyone is only 2 degrees from someone who was a casualty) and the disruption to there lives (the Red Cross will help there) these people should come out OK in the end. The people here are industrious and self-reliant not to mention friendly. Although there is not a lot of money on these islands FEMA and SBA will pump in some. They will definitely help on the big things like the power plant. I have not had much opportunity to get out and take many photos (the one I posted was just before sunset on a 45 minute run) I think I will get some more. Daylight is from 6:30am-6:30pm and my work day is about the same. We should start working fewer hours soon and then I can get out more. Other then going to places that are not at there best, visiting people and places like this is one of the few perks I get that I can take advantage of.

DAZ
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:44 PM   #9

The morning after a football game. Not the best commentary on the people who attended.

I took this shot a couple of weeks ago, but only thought about it connection with the challenge today.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:24 PM   #10

Shows that crows make good janitors, picking up after something carelessly thrown away. Though I'm amazed that it would dine on left-over nachos!