Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:08 PM   #1

Default Pop Photo Test of Pentax K7-+ observations

My copy of Pop Photo just arrived in the mail. They had a test on the Nikon D300s and the Pentax K7.

Both tests seem to me, to regard both cameras rather lukewarm.

As this is a Pentax forum and I'm primarily a Pentax photog I will concentrate on the K7.

PP felt that the K7 is a rugged camera, has a great viewfinder, but has a slow AF in low light and that the image quality although rated by PP as very high, isn't in their top bracket of extremely high.

I've handled the K7 a number of times, shot some 'in store' pix...I like the camera, the feel of it, etc.

It has 5.2 fps, HD Video and that strong magnesium body.

I currently have a K10D that has 1000's of shutter actuation's and a lot of steady, regular use. Touch wood, after a couple of years of hard service, it still works like a charm, unless I screw it up by 'customizing' the settings too much...lol.

I also have a newer KM (k2000) just bought in April. I carry that one around on a daily basis and also use it as a second K mount body. Functions well.

Right now I don't need another Pentax body and I'm happy about this status.

I felt the K10D was a strong, real competitive groundbreaker for Pentax and this is the camera that kept me in the Pentax fold, when I was considering making a break and going to the Nikon D200 or Canon 30D...back in 2006-2007.

I like the K20D...particularly the move to a Samsung 14.6 Sensor, but I felt other than that the K20D didn't offer enough change to make me want to trade in my K10D.

Same thing with the K7. With the exception of the HD video which isn't a big draw (yet) for me...I didn't feel that the K7 had enough extra (14.6 sensor, 5.2 fps, AF that PP feels is sluggish) to really make me want to trade the K10D in on a K7.

Rapid Technology Change- is it that necessary ?

I don't know, but maybe in these days of rapidly changing technology we expect too much, or do we ?

Back in the '80's Nikon's top film 35mm, Canon's top 35 (F1) and Pentax with the LX continued to have these grand flagship models for a number of years.

I bought my K10D in 2007 and for me, it's the most capable camera I've ever had and I wonder when I look at some of my pix that I have taken...could I have done better with a new top of the line (advanced amateur-semi pro class) camera model from either Pentax (K7), Nikon (D300s) or Canon (7D)...I don't know ?

At this point I'm considering new lenses to go with my two K bodies...either a Sigma 10-20 ED or a Pentax 10-17 FishEye. Really good lenses are my focal point right now, rather than a new camera body. Lenses , hopefully will continue to be used in my photog journey...I still have and use my Pentax A 35-105 Macro zoom on my K10D and KM. I bought the 'A' way back in '84, new.

I also look at the pix a photog buddy takes with his 4 year old Canon 30D...only 8.2 MPs...but the pix that come out of that camera are very impressive and pix that I have seen from newer Canons with more MP'd, with much higher technology are not better to my eye.

In the end...what to do...what does it all mean...anyways:

If my K10D was stolen, damaged or quit working...I would probably go for a new Pentax DSLR, because I'm a Pentaxian for many years, like the feel and performance of the make. I would get the K7 rather than the K20D probably because it has a few extra features, if the budget was there and my financial advisor (dear wife) gave me the go ahead.

If my K10D works well for many years to come, which is my fervent hope, I think I would wait for another Pentax that just blew me out of the water with features, just like the K10D did a few years ago.

I, like many a Advanced Amateur Photog have followed the careers of some pro photogs...Ansel Adams, Eisenstadt, Cartier-Bresson..the modern guy I follow is Kerrick James.

He uses Pentax equipment and takes wonderful photos. He used /uses Pentax going back to the 35 mm days also the Pentax 6 X 7, the K10D, K20D and now the K7.

When I look at his work or the work of other top pros like him, it makes you realize that top quality equipment is important, but what's more important is the skilll of the photographer...the eye, the 'know how' to cope with difficult photographic challenges.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:06 AM   #2

Default K-7 vs K20D

Quote:
I've shot a wedding as a voluteer / 2nd shooter with a K-7 & 16-50mm & 60-250mm.
The added value of the K-7 is it much faster and better low light AF.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...low+light&qf=m

Quote:
Iím happy to say that the K-7's autofocus is impressively quick and accurate even in low light.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...w-part-ii.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33238698
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Ever since the unfortunate demise of their late and lamented long time Editor and Publisher Herbert Keppler, Pop Photo's reviews, IMO, have been weaker than they used to be.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4

Good articles Joe. I noticed the guy taking the wedding pix compared the low light focus and accuracy...favourably of the K7 to the Canon 30D.

That to me is the kind of info that I can sort through and understand how the K7 actually works.
In the end I'm starting to think that the only way to know for sure, is to try out a new camera personally and check out the image quality on my own computer.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Ever since the unfortunate demise of their late and lamented long time Editor and Publisher Herbert Keppler, Pop Photo's reviews, IMO, have been weaker than they used to be.
I agree. Keppler was encyclopedic in his knowledge and also understood what was important in photography and equipment.