Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:16 PM   #11

Before I switched to the Mac, I used PFree, a freeware Windows only Photoshop PF reduction plugin that worked in PSE. There another plugin for GIMP, but I know nothing about it, and I don't know of any written for Macs.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:41 PM   #12

Looks like a great lens, have fun with it, I too love the gray squirrel.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:56 AM   #13

Thanks for all the excellent feedback!

Lou - the lens weighs about 9 pounds, so it definitely cannot be hand held in any steady manner (at least, not by me!). When I bought the used lens from KEH, I also bought a very used tripod, much sturdier (and heavier) than the one I usually use.

John - Thanks for the compliment and the advice. I too noticed the lack of detail, especially in the distant shots. Perhaps a combination of lens weakness and operator weakness! Will try again in brighter situations, where I can use faster shutter speeds, and also smaller F stop (most of these were at F8...) Will also try at 500mm or so, to see if the lens may be a bit sharper there than at 600.

Bock & Rodney - Glad you liked the squirrel! Me too! I think this was better because it was at a bit hgher light level, and was much closer than the birds - perhaps this lens does better when the subject is a bit closer, or perhaps my manual focusing does better at closer distances...

Harriet - thanks for the advice - I will keep practicing!

Scott - that does look better - thanks for the advice, detailed directions, and samples. I appreciate the time you took with this, and will try your technique with some more photos later.

Penolta - I too use mac, but have found that (using Darwine) you can run Irfanview on an intel mac. Irfanview allows use of PS plugins - but I have not found PFree yet. Have tried the PF and CA scripts written for Gimp, but they don't seem to work very well. Thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post

Penolta - I too use mac, but have found that (using Darwine) you can run Irfanview on an intel mac. Irfanview allows use of PS plugins - but I have not found PFree yet. Have tried the PF and CA scripts written for Gimp, but they don't seem to work very well. Thanks!
Here is a link for the download:

http://www.brothersoft.com/pfree-183596.html

(refresh the page to get rid of the popup if one appears)

Or use another download site:

http://wareseeker.com/Graphic-Apps/p....2.zip/3001616

I wasn't aware of Darwine (now changed to Wine) - thanks for that.

Last edited by penolta; Oct 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote