Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:09 PM   #11

Guess I'm going to disagree.

I like the colors, and if I had taken it, knowing it was taken through water, I'd keep it for my desktop/screen saver as it would mean something to me, personally. But taken as a picture by itself, I don't care for it - it looks like an ordinary blurry picture. If there had been some more feeling of the water (more feeling of waves/moving water - perhaps some reflection or something like that), which would give it that context, I'd like it more.

By the way, I have many pictures that are like that - they are otherwise more or less flawed or worthless pictures, but they mean something to me, perhaps capturing the feel of a location like your water picture or something I saw that's unique. I'd definitely keep this one on my screen saver and rotate it through my desktop, but I wouldn't think it was a very good picture, just something that pleased me. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:22 PM   #12

Thanks, mtnman, GW, mole and Harriet.

Thank you for being honest, Harriet. I would rather hear what people really think than they either just pass over it or say you like it if you don't.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:06 PM   #13

I'm with mtngal. It just looks out of focus. Beauty, however, is in the eye if the beholder.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:45 AM   #14

Water does that I have one of a Crab that I snapped a few weeks ago adding soon as I downsize it to my Album great shot though colors of fall.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:06 PM   #15

The funny thing about you posting this picture is that I have a picture with a similar situation. When we were in Washington a couple of weeks ago, I visited some tide pools. Most of the pictures I took aren't very good, but one is OK. In my case, the water was absolutely still and I used a small aperture so the DOF is quite big - there's something small floating on the water that's in focus as well as the broken shells below the water's surface. Someone looking at it without knowing what the situation was would think it's a poor quality picture of some grey and white broken shells, poorly composed and with annoying specs. If I clone out the specs, it's just a poorly composed shell picture. With the specs, it's kind-of neat to me (but not to anyone else) because of the reference it gives. I am going to keep it for my screen saver.

In thinking about your picture, I wonder what it would look like if you had set it up the same way, then dropped something (or used your finger) to create some ripples in the water. That would give it more of an abstract/moving water feel. It might not be any better, but I think it would be worth trying.

I'm like you, Patty, when it comes to critique. As long as someone can not only tell me why they don't like one of my pictures, but also offer suggestions for how they think I could improve them, I'm delighted. I might or might not agree with the other person's opinion/taste but I always learn something (normally how to be a better photographer, sometimes that another person is seeing something I completely missed, or rarely, that perhaps I really do have a glimmer more about photography than the person making the comment). What bothers me most is when people say "this picture stinks" and nothing else. I can deal with a blanket "I don't like it" or "it does nothing for me" because that's someone's expession of their taste, and we all have different likes and dislikes. But any comment of "your picture is lousy" deserves a "because of..." and preferably with an added "next time try ... to make it better." Since I so often find myself struggling with photography, I rarely offer much for critiques (other than I like it or I don't), unless I have something specific to say. Since I've taken lots of pictures through water like this, I've discovered some things that don't work. Other than one or two really good accidents taken at Yellowstone, I have yet to master this type of scene.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote