Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Default K-X as Possible K200D Replacement?

This may seem like a silly question and it's possible no one will have much input for a while -- until more K-X's are in the field and we get more results back. But given the excellent reviews the K-X is getting for high ISO work, would a K-X make a decent (and inexpensive) replacement for a K200D?

Now, I understand if one gets rid of a K200D, one is giving up weatherproofing, the top LCD and (I think) the focus flash points in the viewfinder. I'm not saying would be an easy, no-brainer decision. And I am not considering the K-X versus the K-20 or K-7. Only the K200D, which is what I own.

But, at least based on what I've read so far, the K-X offers (at the very least) substantially better high ISO quality, substantially improved burst mode, autofocus improvements and slightly higher resolution (this last item not so important). Those are all worth considering.

What's more, a K-X with an 18-250 lens might make an excellent alternative to a megazoom point-and-shoot camera -- even lighter and more compact than a K200D with that same lens..

And, at least in my case, I would only have to buy a camera body since I'm set for lenses. A K-7 might still be on the horizon but not until next year - assuming Pentax doesn't come out with something else in 2010.

I'm open to opinions now but I would really appreciate it if forum members who buy the K-X in the weeks and months ahead to consider my question as they give us feedback and present photo examples.

Or am I just crazy?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2

why not the k20.
it's under <700 new. with 3 years warranty from pentax
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Well, you're right about that. But I think my logic is that I still plan on a K-7 (or maybe even its replacement) down the road. In the meantime, I like the idea of a camera smaller and lighter than the K-20 and with improved autofocus and burst mode (I like to shoot auto racing). But, again, perhaps my thinking is faulty here. That's why I'm eager to get feedback from K-X buyers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:27 PM   #4

Biro-

We will gradually begin to sort out your issue as more KX models get into circulation. To my way of thinking, the KX offers a lot in terms of technical advances. Surely, the first step forward will be the publishing of the first professional reviews.

I have pre-ordered the KX and I will be happy to share my experiences with the new camera as soon as it arrives.

Have great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:01 PM   #5

Sarah, I'll be looking forward to your reports!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:38 PM   #6

Only you can decide which suits you best. Why get rid of the K200 if you like it? The K-X would make a great second body, and you could decide which suits you better to keep for a second body -- and which of them to dispense with -- when you finally get your K7 next year.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:07 PM   #7

Well yes, that is certainly an option. But admittedly, the K-X and K200D probably have a lot more in common than the K-X and K20D or K-7. So I thought perhaps the K200D and the K-X would be more redundant than a pair involving one of the higher-end cameras. But I don't know that, do I? At least not until we get more solid feedback on the K-X. But assuming I have the money to burn for just a camera body, I could go with the K200D and K-X for a while.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:15 PM   #8

Hi Biro,

It's hard to say what Pentax has in the pipeline for new bodies. I think that they made some good choices for features in their new entry level cam -- HD video and LV, improved AF with an upgrade to 11 focus points, PRIME II processor, faster frame rate, increase in resolution, and very tempting high ISO performance, not to mention the colors. . . I'm not well versed with the competition, but I think that those moving up from a P&S will find the feature set very compelling.

The problem that they've created is some confusion as to where this camera stands in the lineup. Possible IQ improvements over the K20 and K-7, especially at higher ISO is causing some sour grapes from owners of these models. I think that they should get over it -- I personally wouldn't want to give up on the high end features -- wireless remote TTL external flash with the popup as the trigger, super quiet shutter, dual e-dials, focus correction, front and back IR remote sensors, high capacity battery, synch socket, wired remote socket, improved AF accuracy in artificial light with the additional AF sensor, and the improved overall performance of the K-7 are more compelling to me than IQ differences that I really won't see in prints. I don't really use LV, HD video, horizon correction, electronic spirit level, framing correction, in camera HDR or RAW processing, but the whole point in these features is to make the shooting easier for those who consider these details important. Any DSLR is capable of taking a great shot, the more advanced cameras just make it easier to get there, IMO.

The fact is that most of the IQ differences that pixel peepers see and discuss ad nauseum on photo fora become irrelevant when printed, and really can't be seen in most display media, unless you're just looking at a small portion of the image. The highest resolution HD TV is 1080 pixels on the short side. The 14.6 MP sensor of the K20/K-7 produce almost 3 times that resolution on the short side. A very high resolution monitor is 1900x1200 pixels -- about 2.2 MP with a full screen display of an image. Don't get me wrong. The extra resolution is desirable from a number of standpoints (like cropping abilityand capturing very fine detail), but all that is available from our present cameras is just not necessary for any media display except for poster sized prints. With downsizing to the intended medium as an option, PP can make up a whole lot in high ISO IQ, IMO.

I think this will be addressed with a new K200 replacement, probably in the spring or summer of next year. I think that this will come next in the new bodies introduced. It should have WR, a top LCD, possibly the higher res LCD (with a possible tilt/swivel), the same 12MP sensor, improved frame rate, HD video, LV, and the rest of the amenities of the K200.

The K-7 will be the last to be updated, probably late 2010. and I'm personally looking forward to what it might have in store for us considering the improvements at the lower level bodies. . .

Bottom line, If you don't really need WR, and high ISO shooting or improved low light AF performance, LV or video will make a significant difference in your results, then getting a K-x might make some sense, but if you're looking to actually get a more capable camera, and the features of the K200 suit your style and level, then I'd wait for the K300 or whatever they will call it, or get a K20 now that they are so inexpensive for the feature set.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:19 PM   #9

Biro-

I still think that Step #1 is to see the first professional review. Then we have some kind of baseline on which to begin our exploration.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote