Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:37 PM   #11

Makes me want the 600mm f/4 even more. This is where I wish to be in wildlife photos. The Bigma will always be a part of it but Boy Howdy that lens of yours is a Hummmmmmdinger.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:35 PM   #12

Congratulations, both on the new acquisition and those excellent shots!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Oh dear - I don't suppose you could give me the winning lottery numbers so I could get one of those lenses, do you? Do I ever want one - these shots are awesome! Amazing that you can get both the heron and the dragonflies in focus and sharp. Guess I'll just have to dream about owning such a beautiful piece of glass.
Thank you Harriet! Believe it or not, the dragonfly was swooping in and I saw it coming into focus. I'm fortunate to have above fairly fast reflexes! It's a pretty rare lens and I'm really glad I got such an excellent lens.

Be advised that you'd have to spend about another $800-->$1500 for a proper support system for a heavy super telephoto lens. Much of the cost will depend on the construction and quality/cost of materials of the tripod. Most tripods don't have weight load ratings above 18-26lbs. The rule of thumb is the tripod should have a max. load rating of double your equipment to ensure minimal vibration, etc. Therefore I very few options for my requirements - I searched many options, but all came up short, including Feisol, Manfrotto, etc...

I needed at least a 3 series Gitzo carbon fiber tripod for load capacity. I chose the GT3541XLS for it's light weight (4.3lbs), max. height with no center column (78") and max. load (39.5lbs). Quite a package but that's $825 (MSRP) for the tripod, $595 (MSRP) for the Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head. That's roughly 19 lbs on the tripod between the lens, gimbal head and camera + grip.

I'm 6'3" so I could have used the LS version, but it's not as flexible because if I'm on a slope or shooting up into trees I don't want to be hunched over, etc. if I wish to stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Harriet said it all, just amazing.

Rodney
Thank you Rodney - glad you enjoyed them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
An amazing piece of glass - even more amazingly skilled hands holding it! Thanks for sharing these incredibly detailed images.
My honor to share the beauty of nature Mole!

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Super nice Marc.
Thank you GW - glad you enjoyed them. I've found a prairie wetlands nearby so I'm going to scouting soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
Beautiful pictures. It makes me want to go down to the Rio Grande valley. I especially like the 2nd to last, the mallard shaking the water off of his head. GREAT picture!
Thank you and I may take it with me if I enter the VLF competition next year! I took these all up in Seattle at the edge of Lake Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Now that is getting up close and personal (especially with the DF and its upside-down reflection alongside) - way to go!
Thank you Penolta - I too love the added "bonus" of the dragonfly. Much appreciated!

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:18 PM   #15

Great photos. Excellent detail and sharpness. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote