Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:10 AM   #1

Default Magpie.

I've tried for months to get good shots of these birds, but they're very alert, and difficult to get near to, the local ones are very skittish, probably I think due to being shot at by local teenagers with air rifles. The best shots I've had are like this, one shot from an open house window, and I think this one heard the noise of the AF lens as it focused, you can see it's looking right at the camera. ... This is probably the best I've had, there are very few keepers to date. ... jachol
K100D + Tamron 70 - 300mm f4.5-5.6 Di LD
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:04 AM   #2

Terrific shot! Wonderful iridescent color on the tail feathers. I like the backward glance.

Nice work!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:28 PM   #3

That's one fine shot! Nicely composed, great color, and plenty of personality too...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Good shot, great detail, nice colours.
Looks a lot different to our Magpies, ours are all black and white, yours are much prettier.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:55 PM   #5

Don't forget to come back to the same spot not next year for he will be there waiting for you they do that every year come right back to the very spot there were at last year..
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
I've tried for months to get good shots of these birds, but they're very alert, and difficult to get near to, the local ones are very skittish, probably I think due to being shot at by local teenagers with air rifles. The best shots I've had are like this, one shot from an open house window, and I think this one heard the noise of the AF lens as it focused, you can see it's looking right at the camera. ... This is probably the best I've had, there are very few keepers to date. ... jachol
K100D + Tamron 70 - 300mm f4.5-5.6 Di LD
Hi Lou,
Thanks for the comments. ... I like the pose too, as I said, I think the lens AF noise got his/her attention, I didn't get chance of further shots though, it soon took off. ... Jack.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
That's one fine shot! Nicely composed, great color, and plenty of personality too...
Thanks Mole, I'm well pleased with this shot myself,but I've scrapped dozens more. ... Jack.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Good shot, great detail, nice colours.
Looks a lot different to our Magpies, ours are all black and white, yours are much prettier.

Rodney
Hi Rodney,
I think this is a young bird, probably one of this seasons chicks, can't say I've noticed the same colouring on older birds, they always seem all black and white. Thanks for looking in and for the input. ... Jack.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Don't forget to come back to the same spot not next year for he will be there waiting for you they do that every year come right back to the very spot there were at last year..
SSGal,
That's something I didn't Know, only trouble is I can't remember exactly the day I shot this one, maybe the EXIF will tell me, but if what you say is true there should be dozens about, the local colony of maggies, has grown from just one pair to 20 + pairs in the last 10 -12 years. ... Jack.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
SSGal,
That's something I didn't Know, only trouble is I can't remember exactly the day I shot this one, maybe the EXIF will tell me, but if what you say is true there should be dozens about, the local colony of maggies, has grown from just one pair to 20 + pairs in the last 10 -12 years. ... Jack.
I use to live in Wyoming and every year the Magpie would come back and search for his food there not food that I put out but what the Magpie thought was food ... They are quite different than what you have a picture of we have Black and White Magpies there....the day is not what you are needing to know its the month and place they well hang around for at least three to four weeks ....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote