Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:31 AM   #11

Thanks for all the kind comments! This is a fine wild place to enjoy and to share!

Sarah - thanks! Have a great week!

GW - Thanks!

Rodney - Definitely misy - my boots are still drying out. Glad you liked all the photos!

Lou - thanks!

Tim - thanks for the input - I appreciate it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:25 AM   #12

Wonderful pictures. You have a great eye and skill for making pictures. This looks like a place to visit.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:12 PM   #13

wow, that sign's gotten alot dirtier since the last time i've been there : )
the misty trees are surprising, as something you would expect to see in the smoky mountains, rather than here. once again my obsession with color, but the yellow poping out through the mist is really beautiful.
because i know that you know that you take beautiful waterfall photographs, i am going to be extra critical in my judgement of these, because you are so awesome at it (i know, that sounds odd, but it's like when you get good at drawing faces, then everyone quits telling you how you can grow in what you are doing and instead just says 'hey you're awesome' like they do with your waterfalls, because you've gotten so good at it. yup.)
the first one, i like how the trail of leaves on the edge of the waterfall mirrors the path of the water itself. i wonder if there would have been a way to take the photo without the log at the bottom? in some photos/ compositions, the log at the base works well, but in this one, it starts to take away from the rest of the photo.
the second set, the first photo is beautiful. the way it is framed by the rocks, and the way it winds through the photograph, very succesful. the only thing maybe would be to crop out that stick at the pottom (again, i don't know why they're bugging me today, it may just be personal preference, or something) and see if you like it better that way.
of the side views, i prefer the first one, it gives more of a sense of being right there, while in the second one had more distance in it. it seems like the second one was safer compositionally, but that risk paid off in the first one, and the spray from the waterfall captured is quite nice.
the laurel falls images, i prefer the first and the last. the first is framed beautifully by the rocks and trees, it looks like a postcard for the area. in fact, if you're thinking of getting me a christmas present, a nicely printed 8x10 of this image, that's what i want i like how the leaves at the bottom, caught in the rocks, mirror the leaves in the trees at the top, which is what i think is missing in the second one. which is still a very nice photograph, but when compaired to the first one, i think that the second one looses alot by not having that color at the bottom to balance it out. in the third one, personal preference again, but it seems like the rocks are almost too big for the rest of the image. i know that's what was there, but because the falls, and the top half of the photograph, are beautiful, smooth, and all of that, the rocks become a huge contrast to that in their weight and it just seems that there's nothing to balance that out at the top like the rock wall that was to the right in the other images, and i actually spend more time looking at the rocks in the image rather than the falls. the last picture i think is sucessful for pretty much the same reasons as the first one, but i like the first picture best.
(sorry so long-winded. but i shall continue to look further back at everything you've posted since i've been on here.)
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:14 PM   #14

Les - thanks - hope you can visit here sometime!

Vole - Thanks for the very detailed and very helpful input/criticism! I will have to see about that print!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote