Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:59 PM   #11

Congrats Sarah. From what I've read about the new KX (haven't handled one yet) it's supposed to be quite the camera.

If I had known it was coming out back in April, I probably would of held off for a KX as opposed to the KM I bought back then. Although I'm real happy with the KM, it's just that the KX has more going for it...HD Video, 12. something MP's, etc.

I look forward to your assessment. I note that you have the 18-250 lens. I have thought that this lens would make a good all around lens for a daily lens on my KM. Everything from Wide angle to telephoto.

Currently I have replaced my KM's 18-55 kit lens with my Pentax 16-45 for use as an every day lens. Like you, I just wanted the body...not the kit lens, but with the KM up here...it was body and kit lens...no other option.

The 16-45 was on my K10D, but now I use the Pentax 10-17 Fisheye as the regular lens...it's very versatile..nice wide angle at 17...fisheye at 10.

Anyway be sure to post your assessment on the KX.I think this KX has a chance to be a real marketing break through for Pentax.

What colour did you order ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneyeseakay View Post
I hope you're not disappointed... I just don't like that there is no secondary LCD on the top.
I know what you mean. I was disappointed that my KM (K2000) had no secondary LCD on top...as I had grown quite accustomed to having a top LCD on my K10D.

But after my initial frustration...I find I don't miss it...I've got very used to checking out the LCD info on the monitor of the KM. Also I find the LCD on the KM, clearer, brighter, more colourful and faster to pick out the info I need quickly with my KM compared to my K10D.

I also have found that I have adapted very quickly to going back and forth from the K10D body to the KM without missing a beat...even though one has a top LCD and the other doesn't.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:25 AM   #13

Sarah - congratulations on your new acquisition. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the K-X!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:37 PM   #14

Just a quick update-

The new Kx is scheduled for arrival on Wednesday, October 28th. I am getting antsy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Administrator

I'm looking forward to your impressions. From samples I've seen so far, the new Pentax K-x is going to be a very nice camera for some of the conditions you like to shoot in (for example, using higher ISO speeds for live music on board cruises). I have a feeling that it's going to make some of the new K7 owners jealous in that area. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:13 PM   #16

I have read on another board from folks who just received their units that the ISO speed is both faster and much less noisy. They are also impressed with the new Sony sensor. They have posted various images across the range and they look very good. I have also read what the posters indicate that the AF is faster too.

On the down side, a few folks hate that the AF focus point is not shown. Also, as you indicate there is something going on with the battery, and it seems that depending on the type of battery used, you need to tell the camera, and then cycle power. Some folks have said that if you leave the camera off for about 10 seconds after changing battery types, it give the sensing circuits time to reset - but not waiting long enough retains the old battery type and thus the problems.

However, for the price and the features - in that its an entry level camera, it looks like a great unit.

I just have to wonder how many hot pink and lime green cameras get sold in Japan. My wife says she likes the red one (?????) - and the Leggo yellow - well, I cant wait to see a 8 year old running around with one.... then there is the Fisher Price multi-color one (that comes with the Leggo guy on a key chain) ---- But if it makes Pentax a profit - then its worth it.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:14 AM   #17
Super Moderator

how is the jpeg engine? i heard that was one of the downsides to the km.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
.... then there is the Fisher Price multi-color one (that comes with the Leggo guy on a key chain) ---- But if it makes Pentax a profit - then its worth it.
I don't think it's Fisher-Price or Lego... It's based off some Japanese cartoon, Kore Ja Nai?