Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:57 PM   #1

Default Taking a HUGE Leap!

Well, Folks-

I made a huge leap of faith today. I ordered a KX body from www.adorama.com. It was the first time where I saw that I could order the KX body separately. I am going to install my Pentax 18-250mm lens on it and pray for a match like the very successful one that I found with the Km and the Pentax 18-250mm lens.

The increased ISO capability of the KX should make the Pentax 18-250mm lens even more versatile on the new KX. At that any rate that is my sincere hope. We will know more toward the end of next week when the KX arrives at our house with new NI-ZN batteries following close behind.

In an attempt to forestall any battery problems, I also ordered the new NI-ZN batteries and a charger, to prevent me from having a battery problem with the new KX camera. There has been a continuing string of battery problem reports over at dpreview.

So please hold positive thoughts and wish me large quantities of good luck with the new camera. I have essentially burned my bridges as I sold the Km today, and will have my K-20 and Sony A-700 both listed this week on E-bay.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:22 PM   #2

Well, good luck from me to you. Have been giving that some thought myself. Will be interested in hearing how it works for you.

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

seemed a nice little kit with the brief period i played with it at the camera store. its very compact, surprised they could fit all those features in there.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4

Hards and Dr C-

I am pretty motivated myself. Hopefully it will indeed all work out quite nicely.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:59 PM   #5

Well Sarah from 'down under' here, I wish and wish you all the best luck.
I'm sure you will be so happy and I look forward to your shots.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:28 AM   #6

Hi Sarah,

Congrats on the K-x!!! I think that we're all a bit curious to see how this new model performs. Looking forward to your impressions and some shots from the new cam.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:52 AM   #7

Many thanks, Scott-

But perhaps you will understand that I am more than a wee bit frightened. Over at at dpreview they have already rattled around the battery problem, and although the KX is indeed P-TTL according to the Pentax USA website, nobody seems to have any very good flash recommendations. So it is very much like churning through untraveled waters. Everyone is keen to see the results, but are currently unwilling to put up any "front money" least this all head south.

Sarah Joyce
Convinced, but slightly faltering
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Many thanks, Scott-

But perhaps you will understand that I am more than a wee bit frightened. Over at at dpreview they have already rattled around the battery problem, and although the KX is indeed P-TTL according to the Pentax USA website, nobody seems to have any very good flash recommendations. So it is very much like churning through untraveled waters. Everyone is keen to see the results, but are currently unwilling to put up any "front money" least this all head south.

Sarah Joyce
Convinced, but slightly faltering
Hi Sarah,

I've been a member over there for quite a few years, but have only posted a few times a week since the intro of the K10, so I'm very aware of the climate there. I think that most problems encountered by members get significantly overblown in importance, so it's never held me back from becoming an early adopter of a new model. Sure, there's always the chance that you might get one that fell through the QC cracks, but that can happen at any time in the model's lifespan. I don't think that most problems that make a splash over there is any real reason to worry.

If you get one that's defective, Adorama's got an excellent record for customer service, and their return system is among the best on the internet. You know that your 18-250 is a good one, so if it doesn't perform up to the level that you've seen, you'll know that the body isn't performing up to snuff, and the battery life should be better if you don't use LV, video, or do a lot more chimping. The CMOS sensor uses appreciably less power than a CCD, so you should get better battery life, so any defects here should become apparent soon. The best bet would be to play with the camera a lot when you get it and assure yourself it's a good one before the return period runs out.

I'm confident that you'll be very pleased with your new toy.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Super Moderator

speaking of KX, this simulator is fun to play with.

http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-x/#/simulator/090203
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:32 PM   #10

I hope you're not disappointed... I just don't like that there is no secondary LCD on the top.