Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:00 AM   #1

Default PSE 7/Win 7

Hi All

My old PC is dying. So yesterday i built a New much more Powerful Unit.
I have installed Windows 7 -64 bit.
Anybody here used this combo Yet?? I have checked Adobes web site and cannot find anything there.
I see that Adobe has released PSE 8. And i am Sure that that will be compatible with Win 7. But after just spending all that money on a new PC. i Would rather use 7 for awhile.

Thanks

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:51 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Phil, I do not have this exact combo running. However, I'm running Vista 64 bit and am waiting for an e-mail from Dell re. my free upgrade to Win 7. And I am heading out to Best Buy later today to pick up a copy of PSE 8 which they have for $69.99.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Administrator

Results appear to be mixed from what I can tell from google searches. For example, here's a post from one user indicating that it crashes when trying to save files from the editor (and another post in that thread has a link to a post from a different user that's seeing the same type of problem):

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...d.php?p=488849

I'd try it yourself and see what you get.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

If you're running Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, you can also download Microsoft's XP Mode package and use it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Note that from what I understand, if you want greater than 16 bit color depth, you'll need to mess around with settings, disabling some of the features needed for Remote Desktop, etc. Here's one thread about it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-1a13bfb2e8fd

If you don't have a version of Win 7 that's eligible for the XP mode download, have you got an unused retail copy of XP you could install in a Virtual Machine? Sun Virtualbox is one free solution you may want to look at so that you could run a copy of XP under Win 7. I read a post from someone yesterday on another forum going that route after not liking the way MS implemented color depth settings in XP Mode under Win 7.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:41 PM   #5

I am using Widows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Evaluation copy, Build 7100.

It is very good, well compared to XP, I have never used Vista, it starts and shuts down much faster.

Easier to use, more built in software, the 64 Bit uses all 8Gb of my ram, I have not had one crash.

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 and Raw Therapee for my photos and they work perfectly on Win 7.

I tried PSE7 and AcdSee on XP, found CPSPX2 more powerful and easier, so I bought it, then tried it on W7EC and haven't gone back.

Also Most plug-ins for PS work in CPSPX2, all I have tried any way.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm

Last edited by Rodney9; Oct 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:46 PM   #6

My next build will be December; I am currently running Vista 64. If you run into compatibility problems, don't forget the "run as" option, which I believe still exists in Win 7. Right click the executable and choose to "run as" Windows XP and see if that fixes the problem. From the previews of Win 7 I have read, this feature should still be there and is not the same as the Windows XP mode included in Ultimate and Pro versions.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7

Hi All

Thanks for the Comments and Suggestions!

Jim C: Most likely Will end up just trying it as Suggested. I also looked around On the various Boards and Noted the mixed results. I Will Be running Win 7 Home Premium and Unfortunatly i Dont have a Copy of XP that i could try.

Rodney: Thanks for the info. I also Have CPSPX2 so i need to try that also.

Tim: I have read about the Run as admin. While just browsing the WIN7 help files I Found A thing called Compatibility mode. It States that if a program has issues use this to simulate an older operating System. So if all else fails I Will try that

Again thanks

Phil
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:51 PM   #8

Hi all

Update:

Finally have the computer running and All the Software installed. Haven't felt up to
doing much Shooting.
However, I Went out today and took a few to play with. Both PSE7 & PSPX2 seem to work just fine. No crashing.
Also installed Neat Image and that seems fine also.
I Will Keep you up to speed if i find anything else.

Phil