Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:26 PM   #11

Paul my favorite is #4 in the first set. The black background and even lighting bring out the Auburn color of her hair. The nice catch light in her eyes livens her persona.

I find some of the other backgrounds in the other pictures distracting from the lovely subject.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:12 PM   #12

Nice series. Number 7 really pops - was it treated differently somehow? Are these two different models, perhaps sisters? or one changing clothes?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:06 PM   #13

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. The shoot was a real pleasure because it was unhurried. I just told the young lady to have fun. One of the reasons that I didn't use heavily blurred backgrounds was the preference of her mother and her. They wanted some of the shots with the natural settings somewhat in focus.

My favorite shots in the group were #3 and #4 in the first group and #3 in the second.

I got the colors on #3 in the second by using layer masks and adjusting the levels on the model and the background independently, going for a dramatic lighting contrast.

To be honest, I wasn't sure which shots were with which camera till a few minutes ago and I went through the exif's. In group one, photos one and three were with the K20 and no flash, photos two and four were with the K-7 and a bracket-mounted flash. Number four also had a slave flash used as a hair light.

In group two, the only one taken with the K20 was number three. On the other outdoor shots, the flash on the K-7 was set on high-speed sync to fill in the sometimes harsh sunlight.

penolta, it is the same model with a few clothing changes. This was a lengthy shoot at about four locations. We had a full afternoon and we used all of it. These are taken from about 40 or so keepers from the 450 or so shots we took. I'm going to be doing several more edits to achieve some different effects. (BW conversions, background blurs, different crops, etc.)

Paul

Last edited by Trojansoc; Oct 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Paul my favorite is #4 in the first set. The black background and even lighting bring out the Auburn color of her hair. The nice catch light in her eyes livens her persona.

I find some of the other backgrounds in the other pictures distracting from the lovely subject.

Lou
Background...? I didn't notice any background.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:09 PM   #15

I've been begging people to lend me their kids or even themselves so I can practice these kinds of shots. My own kids turn me down. grrr.

Wow, 450 shots.

The 2nd to the last shot is my favorite.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:08 PM   #16

The 2nd and 3rd are great shots..of the first set, the 2nd and 4th I like as well though to bad the river did not focus in for that would of been a great back ground for that one...Any time some one wants a subject for practice and if you are in Port Orchard, WA I have a Cam ham for ya my teen son loves to pose.. he is great at it..Been doing it since he was young..
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
I took a family friend and her daughter out this weekend for a senior picture shoot. The day was perfect for being out of doors, even if the fact there was not a cloud in the sky gave me some tough sun conditions, but the 65 degree sunshine sure felt nice. We shot at a variety of locations, including a few indoor with a black backdrop. I loaded the K-7 with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and switched back and forth between the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 on the K-20.

Paul
Paul

Good exercise. Either one of these lenses should do well.
I love close up and your subject must be happy with the results

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote