Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Ambush (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/161383-ambush.html)

penolta Oct 25, 2009 9:51 PM

Ambush

2 Attachment(s)
My wife went plant shopping and brought home some fall bloomers - among then another milkweed, which we needed because our Monarch caterpillars have stripped all our others of leaves. Along with it came a nasty - a White-banded Crab Spider which we will have to move elsewhere lest it develop an appetite for Monarch caterpillars. Anyway, after unsuccessfully stalking a Monarch butterfly, it ensconced itself in a group of milkweed flowers, waiting. It's first victim was a bee. Another of life's little dramas. K20D with Tamron 70-300 LD Macro.

1 The trap

Attachment 143723

2 The victim

Attachment 143724

Trojansoc Oct 25, 2009 10:26 PM

An amazing capture. Outstanding work.

Paul

Rodney9 Oct 25, 2009 10:37 PM

Terrific capture, well done, an interesting spider.

Rodney

lesmore49 Oct 25, 2009 11:03 PM

Quite an interesting couple of photographs. I've never seen a crab spider before.

mole Oct 26, 2009 5:41 AM

Great photos of this "life & death" encounter - wonderfully sharp and bright!

Our crab spiders are usually in the yellowish range of colors. Is this a different species?

inneyeseakay Oct 26, 2009 9:09 AM

Amazing capture... Did you wait and watch this happen or just stumble upon it? Very cool... I definately need to pick up a 70-300 w/macro capabilities for my tele lens... This reminds me why I loved my Sigma APO 70-300.

Keltech Oct 26, 2009 9:19 AM

I ditto what has already been said, and add Bravo!

Lou

Goldwinger Oct 26, 2009 11:46 AM

:cool2:That's one wait that was worthwhile!

penolta Oct 26, 2009 12:23 PM

Thanks to each of you for all the kind comments. Much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mole (Post 1013165)
Our crab spiders are usually in the yellowish range of colors. Is this a different species?

There are two common and widespread yellow crab spiders, the Goldenrod and the White-banded, each with both yellow and white forms. At least the Goldenrod one is said to be able to change colors "over a few days" to match its background.

Edit: By coincidence, there is a photograph of the yellow form of this same spider on page 24 of this month's Popular Photography.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inneyeseakay (Post 1013205)
Amazing capture... Did you wait and watch this happen or just stumble upon it?

The plant is still potted and just outside our patio slider where it can be seen from the lunch table. I first saw it stalking a Monarch butterfly which got away in time, and I could swear I remember it was yellow, but we have searched and not found another. Most likely my memory is faulty, or else it changed color rather quickly which would seem counterintuitive. After I had left the room, my sharp-eyed wife spotted each of the two situations I photographed.

Goldwinger Oct 26, 2009 4:09 PM

snip...

After I had left the room, my sharp-eyed wife spotted each of the two situations I photographed.[/QUOTE]

Having a spotter is cheating. :D