Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Anyone ever bought an UG-grade lens from KEH?

Theres a particular lens I'm interested in on their site, but it's graded UG. I have purchased BGN lenses from them before and was extremely impressed with them. I know they always grade their lenses down, but was wondering if anyone had experiance, good or bad, with UG lenses from them?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator

Nope. I've bought "bargain" condition gear from Keh.com before, but not "Ugly", as their "Ugly" rating implies that a lens could have issues that *will* impact picture quality (fungus, scratches, etc). So, you'd probably be taking your chances buying a lens with that type of rating.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Yeah... that's what I was afraid of... Just seeing if anyone had taken that chance before and how it turned out...
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:56 PM   #4

Hi Nick,

Depending on the rarity of the lens, it might be worth it. KEH has a stellar reputation and a liberal return policy. If you are confident in your ability to inspect and test a lens, I think it can be a better shot in many ways than ebay. The only real risk is the return shipping cost. If you have a problem with the lens, you know that you can return it, unlike many deals with private individuals.

I've not bought any ugly graded lenses from them, but if it was a rare one, let's say an A*200/4 macro for $500, I'd probably take a chance on an ugly one. If it's a relatively common one, I'd rather wait for a bargain or Ex and pay the extra cost. I've never had a bargain grade from them that I even considered sending back.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:16 PM   #5

Oh, I have bought plenty of bargain lenses from them and couldn't find a mark on many of them. Good point about the return policy though.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:38 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i have found their staff to be particularly helpful the few times i have bought and sold from KEH. I am sure you could give them a call and request some more information about the lens, or ask them if you can give it a try and make sure you can return it. you may have to pay shipping, idk.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
but if it was a rare one, let's say an A*200/4 macro for $500, I'd probably take a chance on an ugly one.
Scott
Only if you had beaten me unconscious with a chair first, Scott!

And to answer the original question, sorry, no, the lowest grade I have ever ordered from Keh was BGN.
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote