Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:55 PM   #11

nick-

I will be hitting the documentation on the Kx tonight to see if there is indeed any way to overlay the AF points. The point I was making is that I missed it today in the over 50 shots I took with the camera.

I will report tomorrow (10/28) if the AF point overlay can be made visible in the viewfinder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:30 PM   #12

OK, nick-

I found it! The AF overlay is only available when AF system is selected to AF-S or AF-C. It is NOT visible when you are in the AF-A Mode.

The Kx built-in flash unit is fairly powerful, but you really have to careful not to have your fingers wrapped around the lens. If your fingers and hand are not on the bottom 1/2 of the lens barrel you will shadow the Kx's Built-in flash output.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:33 PM   #13

Ahhh... that's a huge relief! I'm so glad they didn't rid this model of such a valuable tool! Oh yeah, Congrats on the new camera!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:54 PM   #14

To do the first High ISO test, I backed away until I was 19 measured feet from Bradley and used ISO 1600 with the built0in flash unit as my single source of light. The camera was in the "P" or program Mode. tha camera selected F-5.6 at 1/80th.

Here is how it looked directly out of the Kx.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:56 PM   #15

WOW... The lack of noise at ISO1600 astonishes me... out of curiosity, have you tried the ISO12800 yet?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneyeseakay View Post
WOW... The lack of noise at ISO1600 astonishes me... out of curiosity, have you tried the ISO12800 yet?
Yes impressive. I would also like to see 12800. I'm quite impressed at the quality of the image at high ISO.

And to think my K10D is only good for 1600, however the KM goes to 3200 ISO and the pix qualiy @ 1600 isn't too bad, but I don't think at the same level as this KX.

This has really improved in the past few years, not only with Pentax but others.

I can just imagine what it must be like o get good image quality at very high ISO. I believe Nikon's new pro camera is able to attain ISO at over 100,000...don't know what the quality is like..but...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:20 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
OK, nick-

I found it! The AF overlay is only available when AF system is selected to AF-S or AF-C. It is NOT visible when you are in the AF-A Mode.

The Kx built-in flash unit is fairly powerful, but you really have to careful not to have your fingers wrapped around the lens. If your fingers and hand are not on the bottom 1/2 of the lens barrel you will shadow the Kx's Built-in flash output.

Sarah Joyce

I am very happy to hear that Sarah. I take it you are pleased with your new purchase now!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:27 AM   #18

Getting familiar with the Kx moves onward. I sure was glad to find that focus overlay last night. I will continue to shoot increasingly higher ISO shots in various situations and I try some of the many features of the new Pentax Kx camera.

I am still using the 4 Energizer Lithium batteries that came with the camera, so no signs of any battery problems yet. The new NI-ZN rechargable batteries and charger are due to be delivered today.

The match of the Pentax 18-250mm lens with the Kx seems just as good as it was with the Km model. One can easily get spoiled by a single lens solution. And if the high ISO capability of the Kx keeps measuring up, that mkes that lens even more usable.

Have a great day, and many thanks for the support and encouragement as I go through this familiarization period.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:37 AM   #19

A follow-up on external flash on the Pentax Kx-

The Kx is a P-TTL flash so the AFS-200 that was part of my Km kit works, as well as my older Sigma DG-500. When I ordered the Kx, I also ordered the Metz 36 AF-4. I works fine but it is not very powerful at all. It is just a bit more powerful than the Pentax AFS-200, and the Metz 36 is also not upgradable via USB. So I am going to return the Metz 36 for a more powerful external flash that is upgradable.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:41 AM   #20

I'm thinking about picking up the Sigma DG500, what are your thought on it?