Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:59 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneyeseakay View Post
I'm thinking about picking up the Sigma DG500, what are your thought on it?
i would advise against this particular model. it has not shown very good forward compatibility with new models of cameras for a variety of manufacturers.

they have a newer 530 super with pttl that would be better.

better yet, if you are going to go with a 3rd party manufacturer within the same price range, check out Metz 48 or just go with Pentax's own 360
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:22 PM   #22

I found one that has already had the chip upgraded to work with the K20D for under $100... is it worth that?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:41 PM   #23

Nick-

That is a high price for a Sigma DG-500.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:18 PM   #24

Thanks Sarah...
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:05 PM   #25

Default Pentax HDR

Well today's experiment was with the HDR feature combined with high ISO. When the documentation says the camera must be on a tripod, Pentax is not kidding.I tried 3 of my heaviest/sturdiest tripods, and this is the best HDR photo captured out of 5 attempts.

The key is getting the perfect registration between the three images used for this feature. When you are off even just a little bit, it really shows in the image.

The exposure was done in the Program mode at ISO 1600, the shutter speed was 1/13 at F 6.2. Once again the image was cropped, reduced in size, and no noise reduction software used.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:11 PM   #26

Not only do you need a tripod, you also need to be either inside or have no breeze. I've used the in-camera HDR a number of times with the K-7 and discovered that moving tree leaves don't work well at all. Also, not every scene works right either. But it's always worth trying as sometimes it gives the best results of all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:37 PM   #27

You are very correct, Harriet-

Is it any easier with Photo Matrix? This feature is very unforgiving and intolerant.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:09 AM   #28

It depends. Photomatix will do some aligning based on features in the frames, so it makes it possible to hand-hold your pictures as long as your subject is stationary. The moving leaves are a problem no matter what. You have a lot more influence with software - the in-camera option gives you only 2 choices (I assume that the K-x is the same as the K-7). In some cases the in-camera was better, in others Photomatix was. I personally think that Photomatix gives you a good starting point - I often find the pictures somewhat over-saturated so I'll adjust that and add some contrast in Lightroom, once I've got what I want. So it's more forgiving, but it's also much more work, and it doesn't always give better results.

To give you an idea about versatile, here's an HDR picture that's also a panorama (two frames). I'm sure I would not have been as successful if I had tried this with two in-camera shots: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p614998220.jpg , if you are interested (I'm not posting the actual picture here as it is really off-topic and I want to hear more about the K-x!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It depends. Photomatix will do some aligning based on features in the frames, so it makes it possible to hand-hold your pictures as long as your subject is stationary. The moving leaves are a problem no matter what. You have a lot more influence with software - the in-camera option gives you only 2 choices (I assume that the K-x is the same as the K-7). In some cases the in-camera was better, in others Photomatix was. I personally think that Photomatix gives you a good starting point - I often find the pictures somewhat over-saturated so I'll adjust that and add some contrast in Lightroom, once I've got what I want. So it's more forgiving, but it's also much more work, and it doesn't always give better results.

To give you an idea about versatile, here's an HDR picture that's also a panorama (two frames). I'm sure I would not have been as successful if I had tried this with two in-camera shots: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p614998220.jpg , if you are interested (I'm not posting the actual picture here as it is really off-topic and I want to hear more about the K-x!).

That pix is quite impressive. I feel as if I'm there...almost has a 3 D quality about it.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:04 AM   #30

Harriet and Les-

Thanks for the input. Yes, the in camera HDR is exactly the same as it is on the K-7. Your sample is beautiful. As Les mentioned, it almost has a 3-D effect.

It is 6:00am and still dark outside. We have showers forecast for the day. Perhaps I can get some landscapes in between the rain drops. Otherwise, if the weather shuts us down, we will focus, once more, on high ISO shots.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce