Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:02 PM   #51

test#1-

For those wondering about the brown to yellowish color in that one posted photo, please understand that occurred, simply due to my own testing of "Custom Image" feature on page 1 of the Shooting menu.

I returned the Pentax KX today to the default settings, and things are back to normal. Check out the attached photo. Note that the skin tones are really back to normal, and very usable.

Please let me ask for your indulgence: There is no hurry here, as we move through all of the variation that a fine DSLR camera like the Pentax can create. So let's step slowly through this examination of the Pentax KX, so that we can enjoy and understand that fine DSLR camera, called the Pentax KX camera.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Test of this computer on the internet
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:30 PM   #52

Well, it looks like the computer is back to normal. So here is a shot from the Kx taken this morning using the Pentax 18-250mm lens and a much long zoom position. The lighting is contrasty, and the image sharpness is good.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:53 AM   #53

Nice shot Sarah. I think your KX coupled with the 18-250 is a winner. For many people this combo will provide all they want and need in a camera / lens outfit. Wide angle to telephoto and everything in between, great ISO capability, HD Video, very nice MP's , shake reduction, sensor cleaner and reasonable price for excellent quality.

Great for those who want a DSLR / do most of it lens, that doesn't take up a lot of space for travel.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:13 PM   #54

I agree, Les-

I fell in love with the previous model the Km, as a compact travel camera. Now with the ne Kx model we have the best of sharpness, high ISO capability, and just about everything you would want in a DSLR all contained in a travel camera size package.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:39 PM   #55

Default Question about image quality.

Hi.
Can someone explain to me the difference in quality between the most recent portrait shot Sarah posted in this thread at Message #51
Photo by Sarah

and this 100% crop from a picture taken with the Sigma DP2?
Photo by Chato posted in another "What camera" thread

(For comparison, here is a 100% crop from a Sony A230:
Photo by Sarah posted in yet another "What Camera" thread)

The reason I ask is primarily about color. I find the Sigma color as lifelike as I find the Pentax Kx color in the above-referenced photo unnatural. The Sony is a bit in between, but the full shot shows significant over-saturation and what I think of as "hue-banding".

Of course, without the same model and the same conditions, the comparison is rough at best.

Thanks. Still trying to understand photographs.
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:14 PM   #56

kriekira-

Please keep in mind that two items will directly impact the color in any image from a DSLR camera.

(1) the actual lighting for the photo
(2) how the custom image settings are set on any DSLR.

As an experiment I will use the Sony A-230 camera and be sure that there is no color saturation dialed into the camera. If I remember correctly, the A-230 has 1 unit of saturation dialed into the set-up right now.

OK, the photo has been shot and the A230 checked to determine that no saturation has been selected. Here is how it looks.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 31, 2009 at 5:10 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:18 PM   #57

Now here, Kiekira, is another photo sample that I want you to evaluate.

This photo was taken with the Canon S-5IS camera, with bounce flash used for some fill light. Generally speaking, point and shoot cameras have no custom color options.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:37 PM   #58

Now another photo sample for you Kiekira-

This photo was taken with the Pentax Kx model. The change that I made was to change the color selection from "Brilliant" to "Natural." I also made sure that there was zero saturation selected.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Now another photo sample for you Kiekira-

This photo was taken with the Pentax Kx model. The change that I made was to change the color selection from "Brilliant" to "Natural." I also made sure that there was zero saturation selected.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah

Good adjustment. Natural takes the yellow out from what I see.

I have found out to my occasional minor distress, that although my more sophisticated K10D has much more customization options than my more plebeian KM (K2000) it also means that I have to be careful, having all those options .

When I play around with the customization settings...I have to be very careful as I've thrown my K10D out of whack (to use the clinical term )...

I enjoy having the K10D options and the opportunity to expand my photographic horizons..as it were...but I also have to be prepared to reset back to the fresh out of the factory settings when I've gone too far.

I haven't adjusted my KM other than change the ISO or the picture mode. It works as a good baseline to my K10D experiments to bring the K10D (and me) back to 'earth'...

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:48 PM   #60

Les-

You are so correct. Tiny changes can make significant color differences. That is why I put that Canon S-5 photo, a point and shoot camera where no changes can be made, just to have a control image to refer to, when we look at all these variations.

For example here is another Kx image that has been tweaked by using the color set assigned to "Portrait." Once again you can see it is slightly different.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images