Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:13 PM   #1

Default The Pentax Kx has Arrived!

We had a nice surprise today. The UPS woman delivered the Pentax Kx one day early. What a nice surprise. The camera layout is very muchlike that of the Km or K-2000 model. Just looking at the menu structure it is obvious that there are lot of features on the Kx when compared to the Km model.

So it is going to take some study of the camera documentation to learn those features. Because the Kx has P-TTL synchronization just like the Km model, I slipped my Pentax AF-200 flash from my Km model on the new Kx and it worked perfectly. I also did a "test drive" with the Metz 26 AF4 flash and it too functioned perfectly.

By tradition, I always take the first photo on any new camera of my husband, Bradley. So I have attached that photo to this post. It was taken using the Pentax 18-250mm lens and I was pleased with the image. The Kx was in the "P" for program Mode and Auto ISO. It selected ISO 200, the lowest available ISO setting, F 6.2 at 1/100th of a second.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:15 PM   #2

For the Pixel Peepers, here is a 100% crop of the photo posted immediately above.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:27 PM   #3

The second photo sample is of me taken by Bradley. The test here was to determine if the Metz was powerful enough to overcome a rather strong backlighting photo environment. The camera set up and lens were the same. The setting chosen by the Kx in the "P" Mode, were ISO 200, F 5.6, 1/80th of a second.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:29 PM   #4

For the Pixel Peepers, here is a 100% crop of the photo posted immediately above.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:38 PM   #5

Sarah,

The initial pictures look great, excellent detail and colour rendition. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and reading your assessment of the KX and it's features. I'll be interested in reading about your assessment of the the HD video capability quality.

Originally..I wasn't too crazy about still cameras having video capability, but I think this is just an old fashioned idea on my part...the more I think about the better an idea I think it is.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:27 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new camera. I will also be following your thoughts with interest, this could be a potential upgrade to my wife's K100d.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:42 PM   #7
Super Moderator

congrats on the new kit.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:36 PM   #8

After shooting over 50 images today, I have to be honest and say that I really do not like viewfinder focusing with the Kx. Based on my previous experience, I promptly set up the Kx to use center point focusing. What a laugh that is!

When using my Km/K-2000 camera it was very easy to identify and spot that center point focus spot in the Km's viewfinder. That is not true at all for the Kx model. That is really disappointing. You have no visual assist in the viewfinder to find that center point to focus with on the Kx model. You can only guess! Sometimes you hit the mark, and sometimes it is very easy to guess where the actual focus point really is located.

I like the sharpness of the Kx when using the camera. But sharpness is important only when you can precisely target the focusing spot. And that is just not possible on the Kx model. The Pentax Km/K-2000 is really entirely different you can nail the focusing point and because you are using the very same Pentax 18-250mm lens, the sharpness falls into the really proper perspective. Naturally, other folks may indeed find this item to be entirely different, or have an entirely different response, but this is my response and what is important to me.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9

Wow, what a valuable tool for them to exclude in this model. I was pushed away from the Km due to the fact that it didn't have the top mounted LCD, I can't imagine giving up the imposed spot-focus points in the viewfinder... bad move on Pentax's part IMO. I know this was supposed to be a very basic entry level camera, but why even have selectable focal points if you cant see where they are?

What about in live view? Does it give you any kind of focal point indicators there?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:52 PM   #10

I'm sorry to hear your disappointment, hopefully you can find some way around this.
Your shots are very good, sharp all the way, natural looking colours.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote