Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park

Here are some from our Washington vacation.

We went to several interesting spots. First, Hurricane Ridge because the weather was lovely (when we got there), and rain was predicted for the following days.

Fall color was in evidence on the trail we hiked (K20, DA 55-300, taken by Dan)

The ridge provides views of Mt. Olympus and the mountains of Olympic National Park. We walked on a trail at the end of the road, but I'm not sure that the views were all that much better than you can get by just getting out of your car. We enjoyed the walk anyway.

These are mountains to the east, not Mt. Olympus which is to the south of the ridge. K7, DA*50-135 I think.

If you want to see it larger (and have a big monitor), it's located here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p495443786/e10553bb .

Mt. Olympus, several frames stitched together (K20, DA 55-300 and taken by Dan).

Notice the glaciers on the mountains.

Turning around to face north, you get a totally different type of view.

This is Port Angeles, on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Across the strait is Canada and Vancouver Island.

There's more to look at than just grand views, too.

These were both taken by the K-7 and the DA*200.

The clouds started to move in as we were getting back to the car, and the taller mountains became shrouded in clouds. I was happy that we had gone up early.

Last edited by mtngal; Oct 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:25 AM   #2

That last one is wonderful, all the the mountain shots are fantastic.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:21 AM   #3

Harriet - a great series - the mountains so lovingly captured, and also the fine floral details. I especially like the glacier shot - both for composition and for the subject - and the mood of the last photo.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:34 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Beautiful compositions! I realized how challenging it is to capture the vast vistas even with a wide angled lens! I only made it to Mt. Rushmore when I visited Washington state a few years ago...and had to pass on Olympic NP!

All great images... I really like the last image ...it conveys a special mood!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:03 AM   #5

Harriet, very nice series. Panos are the only way to capture such an expansive vista and these are lovely ones.

The day we visited Hurricane Ridge the fog was so thick that we drove up at a crawl. Almost turned around several times but in the end kept on going and broke out into the clear. It is breathtaking at the top as you have shown in these photos.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:54 AM   #6

Thanks for posting, Harriet-

What beautiful country. The remoteness of the Olympic Peninsula is both good and bad. Bad from the point that the number of visitors is limited and good from the point of view that it has remained rugged and scenic.

This is a great series.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I found the mountains a bit frustrating in a way - they are so grand and so huge, even a wide angle doesn't do them justice. The panoramas posted are all multi-frame stitched. Here's a link to one that's 14 frames, taken with the K-7 and the DA*300 and covers most of the mountains to the south, Mt. Olympus and it's surrounding mountains: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p495443786/e138ee482 and the picture as I sized it (still bigger than monitor size, I think): http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p328131714.jpg . It was interesting to do, but I think the ones I posted here are more pleasing for an outsider - the problem with panoramas is that you end up having the long, thin picture when sized down to monitor size, and lose the detail.

Here's one of the frames that I used in the panorama:

It gives you some idea of the size and majesty of these mountains. Sarah is right - the Olympic Penninsula is very out-of-the-way, and much of the area can only be seen by foot. But it is spectacular and well worth the effort to get there. It falls into the "highly recommended" category.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:50 PM   #8

Some nice pictures here, but from what I have seen on your Zenfolio page, the best are yet come!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:30 PM   #9

Really, Penolta? I'm having a hard time getting enthusiastic about a lot of them - I want to re-process some using denoise as I wasn't satisfied with what I did before - there's quite a few that were taken at high ISOs because of the rain/lighting conditions. I just feel rather frustrated, perhaps it would be a good idea to post some from the rest of the places we went to now using what's in the album now, and get some feedback from all of you. Maybe that will give me some motivation to re-do the ones I want to, give me perspective on what's there and perhaps to re-look at some I rejected.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Really, Penolta? I'm having a hard time getting enthusiastic about a lot of them - I want to re-process some using denoise as I wasn't satisfied with what I did before - there's quite a few that were taken at high ISOs because of the rain/lighting conditions. I just feel rather frustrated, perhaps it would be a good idea to post some from the rest of the places we went to now using what's in the album now, and get some feedback from all of you. Maybe that will give me some motivation to re-do the ones I want to, give me perspective on what's there and perhaps to re-look at some I rejected.
You are being too hard on yourself. You can't be expected to do much with the haze and cloudy skies - that is just the way it is much of the time up there - so concentrate on the strong points - subject choice and composition. There are a number of really fine shots - especially in the Salt Creek and Cape Flattery sequences - with lots of potential.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote