Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:59 AM   #11

Gorgeous photos of an amazing place. Glad that this land has been set aside, and glad that you took the time to photograph and to share with us. Especially like the light on the first shot!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:48 AM   #12

Love the lighting on the first one - an interesting take on a scene frequently photographed (I have several pictures taken from the same viewpoint, but never with such neat lighting, also ones matching the second one, too - but don't ask me what the name of the feature is).

The Angels Landing shot is very cool! I've never done that hike and it sounds like I'm unlikely to get my other half on it. But your picture makes me want to try it.

Thanks for posting these!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:52 AM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
You guys make me sick with these beautiful National Parks photos.
Thanks Mike! The only cure for your "sickness" is to visit the NP's. My bucket list includes a visit to each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics51 View Post
Jay, thanks for posting those and bringing back some great memories. I visited there back in the early 70s and it was spectacular. Did you find a small pool at the bottom of a high waterfall? We were with a bunch of kids and spent several hours enjoying that pool.

Glenn
You're welcome, Glenn--glad they brought back the good memories. Re. the pools, I took a short hike from near the lodge on the Emerald Pool trail that takes you to 3 water falls (spouts actually) that feed 3 pools. I was not so impressed--may be due to the time of year, the water flow was lower than in the spring. The pools were more like puddles! Not sure if this is what you're referring to. There is another hike to the "Narrows" which included hiking in the river which I did not do since I did not have appropriate footwear. Next time for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Really beautiful photos, jelpee. This is a part of the country I would love to visit.

Paul
Thanks Paul...you're closer to Utah than I am...you should go! Zion NP apparently is one of the more popular parks and in peak season gets very crowded. October seemed like a nice time (cooler temps, fewer people, and some nice fall color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Great shots of a wonderful area. Thanks very much for posting. Zion is yet another national park I have yet to visit.
Thanks Mtman: Make plans and go...and do the hike up Angel's Landing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
First shot is No. 1 for me, fantastic lighting, but they are all very nice.

Rodney
Thanks Rodney. Getting to the park before sunrise has its rewards. Great lighting for about 30 minutes before the shadows became an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
I Love no. 3.

It is a spectacular view of the valley and I'm sure made the treacherous climb worthwhile.

I have been to Zion twice and never saw this amazing sight as I am not happy to hike on anything with a shear drop. Thanks for taking me to see it.

All the shots are wonderful!!!

Lou
Thanks Lou! The climb was worth it, although while going up I kept telling myself that I was insane for attempting it. I'm up to doing it again, perhaps when I take my wife with me for a now promised visit.

BTW, my trip was what my wife called a "man walk-about"...left the wife and kids back in KY and went with a friend who is originally from Utah and enjoys hiking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Love the lighting on the first one - an interesting take on a scene frequently photographed (I have several pictures taken from the same viewpoint, but never with such neat lighting, also ones matching the second one, too - but don't ask me what the name of the feature is).

The Angels Landing shot is very cool! I've never done that hike and it sounds like I'm unlikely to get my other half on it. But your picture makes me want to try it.

Thanks for posting these!
Thanks Harriet. You should put Angel's Landing on the list when you visit Zion again. By far, the most memorable of the 3 hikes that I did. Another is the Canyon Rim trail which is about an hour long and also leads to some spectacular views of Zion Canyon.

Overall, Bryce Canyon and Zion NP were a lot more upclose and personal compared to Grand Canyon NP which one could mostly admire from atop the rim. It was nice to get down into the canyons at Bryce and Zion and literally feel the dirt. Definitely going back to the area and perhaps taking on Canyon Lands, and Arches.

Last edited by Wingman; Oct 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Really beautiful photos, jelpee. This is a part of the country I would love to visit.

Paul

Jelpee,

I have never been there. Your images are very convincing indeed

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post

The second time this year that I've run into this...a picture waiting to be taken!

Perhaps the stone gods are trying to tell you something!

Seriously though, these are all great pix jelpee, thanks for sharing.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:16 PM   #16

Thank you Daniel & GW. About the only thing that I missed in the landscapes was water. Given the geographic location (i.e. high dessert country), there is definitely a noticeable absence of water falls, etc. The Virgin River runs through the canyon, but it is an average river at best. Quite different from say, Banff etc where there are not only mountains but lakes. It is a different kind of beauty and must be appreciated for its unique majesty!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:52 PM   #17

Beautiful images, jelpee. It sounds like I will never be going there myself from your description. So, I'll enjoy yours!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:50 PM   #18

Interesting that you weren't impressed with the Emerald Pools - we enjoyed that hike and there was a fair amount of water in two of them (we were there in winter and there was some ice around in places). The middle one was pretty small but I got a lovely reflection shot in it. And I thought it was cool to be behind the water flow at the lower pool.

I don't think the hike to the Narrows includes a waterfall - just a slot canyon with the river flowing through it (and no edge, the reason you have to walk in the water). There's chutes and other obstacles further up the canyon. I've only walked to the trail's end, which is a pretty hike in its own right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Interesting that you weren't impressed with the Emerald Pools - we enjoyed that hike and there was a fair amount of water in two of them (we were there in winter and there was some ice around in places). The middle one was pretty small but I got a lovely reflection shot in it. And I thought it was cool to be behind the water flow at the lower pool.
I think the time of year had much to do with the size of the Emerald Pools. The lower pool was perhaps the most scenic, but somewhat overated I thought. What was interesting however was the change in vegetation due to the water. Unfortunately, the waterfall that fed the lower pool itself was meager...I tried to photograph it but the stream of water appeared as a wisp of mist. In any event, I think Zion's claim to fame are the canyons unlike say, Yosemite where Waterfalls rule especially in the spring time. Fortunately, I had my fill of waterfalls in West Virginia...here's the link: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...aterfalls.html