Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Few more landscapes

From the same area as last couple, different viewpoint but same reservoir. All C&C are welcomed.

Greg

This one from the same area but no water wisible from this point.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2

Hi Greg. I like the composition of all 3. But the colors/contrast of the 1st and 3rd are pretty flat. Image 2 just has a lot more POP to it. Try bumping up the saturation and contrast a bit in the other two and see if you don't like them better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3

John: the thing is the colours are perfectly right, it just is that bleak over there in september. Adding saturation would be very artificial in my opinion. That's why I left them like that.

Greg
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:01 PM   #4

Greg - I understand. Dull colors just make for a less interesting image. If accuracy is important to you, my suggestion would be to take the photos in better lighting.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:13 PM   #5

Hi Gfurm

I had a similar problem (not really a problem just real colour) with the dull colours of the landscape, went to the lake district a couple of years ago and when I got home the pictures all had very similar colours to your third picture. When playing in Paintshop and adjusting colours and saturation they all looked very wrong. I guess its a problem we have to put up with in the UK - had a similar problem with pictures taking in Scotland even with really good light. I did manage a couple of very nice pictures but the majority of them were very dull coloured.
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:24 PM   #6

Just to clarify my point- presumably image 2 was taken in the same local. It was taken at a time of day when there was a nice blue sky and good contrast. So the weather does exist to provide good lighting. The key would be identifying what time of day to take the photos at the other two vantage points so similar results could be achieved. That's one of the things that makes landscape photography challenging - coordinating what you shoot and from which vantage point with time of day.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:40 PM   #7

Even that they were all taken in september there's very different hue to grass at tle lake itself and on the hills. The hills are usually grey/yellow and lakeside is nice green. If they were taken in july/august all the grey patches on picture 1 would be nice purple (these are moors, heaths). It's just the way it is in England, not many months to get nice vivid colours. It's very strange indeed, you'd think that with all this rain we have here everything would be nice and colourful.

I have more photos from different location, some are grey like these and others have nice green grass. And they were all taken on the same day with brilliant weather.

ps: the dates in exif are most likely wrong, they were all taken in september.

Greg
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:27 PM   #8

Hi Greg -- I like all three pictures. I have to say that number one is my favorite, with the footpath leading the eye deeper into the frame, and inviting the viewer along. I wish the person on the footpath were just a bit closer to the camera -- that would have given me more a feeling of participation. But where the person is also works, as it gives a sense of how vast the landscape is.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:48 PM   #9

What else can I say , John said it all and they are lovely landscapes.
I thought, I hope you don't mind, I would try some extra processing.

Rodney
Attached Images

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10

This is an interesting discussion. I wouldn't change the saturation or colors, but I probably would try to adjust the exposure/contrast some, probably using levels in PSE. That wouldn't change the colors at all, but would make it look a little less flat. I don't think the flat look is as much a problem with the 1st one, which I rather like the way it is, as much as with the last one. If you are interested and would let me post it, I played with it for a second or two using only levels and a contrast curve, to show the difference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote