Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:55 AM   #1

Default Some local "critters"

Our nearby city park - Bays Mountain - is one of my favorite local destinations for great short hikes. But they also have an area set aside for viewing captive native wildlife in natural settings. Had a few moments yesterday to visit their wildlife habitat area, and see some of the shier creatures "up close & personal."

Their captive River Otters are usually as shy as our wild ones are on the lake (best photo I ever took of ours looks like a black blob!). But one was out and rather cooperative yesterday. These photos are not as sharp as I'd like, but the best I've taken so far.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:57 AM   #2

There was a busload of Kindergartners visiting yesterday too, and all of them wanted to see the Deer enclosure. You can tell these deer are rather bored with crowds of schoolkids!
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:59 AM   #3

We do have a number of Bobcats in our park, but all we ever see of them is brief glimpses. Even in the wildlife enclosure, it was tricky getting a good shot (sure wish he would have moved away from that one twig!) Do you think these are still useable, even with the blurry twig in his face?
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:00 AM   #4

Bays Mountain also has a fine pack of (captive) Timber Wolves. This one was watching the camera very carefully!
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:03 AM   #5

And, just for fun, here are a few more birds at the feeder shots from home. (Cardinal, Chickadee, and Goldfinches).
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:04 AM   #6

(All of these taken with K-m, either 135-600 pentax or 18-250 tamron)

Hope you enjoyed some wildlife watching together - as always, delighted for any criticisms or comments!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:50 PM   #7

Mole, I have only been able to get one shot of an otter in the wild and all I can say is, yours turned out better than mine!
The first Bob cat shot would have been great without that darn branch...
the other two, I think work just fine with the branch.
Nice work!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:58 PM   #8

Mole,
I find it a challenge just to get a sharp photo of a stationary gold finch or cardinal, let alone otters, bobcats, etc. These are all quite well done. I always look forward to seeing your work. Keep posting. Does the bobcat's name come from a bobed tail? I think there was one in my yard once, but he was being chased by my neighbors dog and the only extraordinary thing I remember about him was the short tail.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:24 PM   #9

Terrific critters, I have always loved Otters after seeing the move 'Ring of Bright Water' and I have had realistic dreams with Wolves and you have probaly seen my shots of PussPuss so I'm a feline fan as well.
All your shots are wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Have you thought of putting some interesting tree branches around your feeder to get that natural look when they are waiting to feed.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:21 AM   #10

Short Tail of course Jim the Bob and the lynx are the closest to the common house cat... but sorry to say not may Lynx's any more I got back up to WA to find a carcass of a Bob Cat by the shed... and well its still there till next spring where I will remove it as all the hair is still removing itself from the rest of the bones... very interesting thing its to big to be a house cat... I love the photo of the Bob cat of course specially when its eyes are closed its it saying that he feels at ease...the rest are just as well good too....Great Job Mole!!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote