Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Eastern Blueird

There is a meadow that runs along the Shawsheen River in Andover 5 minuets from my home. It is populated with a dozen or more Bluebird houses.

I went today to try and get some shots of them. It was a waiting game. None were present when I arrived but I could hear them in the distant trees. I set up camera and tripod. It was overcast and the light was nice for bird pictures. I had the K-7 with the Tokina 80-400 plus 1.4 TC.

When the birds arrived I began taking shots and then moving the tripod closer in small increments. I could not get close enough to get any feather detail. The shot is soft but the colors are beautiful on this little bird so I thought I would post it.

I will try again on a day with more light so I can use a smaller aperture and get better detail.

Both shot taken at F5.6, 1/160", ISO 650, 840MM

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:13 PM   #2

These are great poses Lou!
I'm not the greatest when it comes to composition but, I thought I give it a try. (hope you don't mind)To me, the bird house is a little distracting so, I cropped it some. Of course it'd look better if done with the original.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:42 PM   #3

The color is great, Lou. These little fellows can be hard to get close to.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post

I cropped it some. Of course it'd look better if done with the original.

GW, here it is cropped from the original. It is an improvement in the composition, thanks for the suggestion. I think that the quality of the picture is insufficient for this much cropping.

Lou

Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:47 PM   #5

Nice pose and they certainly are very pretty, I look forward to more shots.
Have you thought of a portable blind to get closer, I read somewhere someone used a kids camouflage tent.
Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:50 AM   #6

Paul - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed this little bird. They have a nice voice and are fun to watch in flight as well.

Rodney - Funny you should mention a bird blind. It was exactly what I was thinking as I stood around in the cold field waiting for the birds to come to their roost.

I'm thinking of ways to create a nice light collapsible one. If I come up with a good solution I'll share it.

Lou
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Paul - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed this little bird. They have a nice voice and are fun to watch in flight as well.

Rodney - Funny you should mention a bird blind. It was exactly what I was thinking as I stood around in the cold field waiting for the birds to come to their roost.

I'm thinking of ways to create a nice light collapsible one. If I come up with a good solution I'll share it.

Lou

Yeah! One with a little portable heater perhaps?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:11 PM   #8

Hi Lou,

Certainly not ideal, but much better than any of this species that I've ever gotten though I try every spring when they show up. Nicely done!!!

I've considered using hides, but until I find one with air conditioning and a well stocked fridge, I don't see this happening. . . -- even tho it would probably help some aspects of my birding considerably. There are a number of nice one-man popup hunting blinds available that are much more portable and easier to setup than anything I could conceivably make (and aren't nearly as expensive as I had thought). I guess that I just like being out in the open. If the birds can't get used to my presence, then it just wasn't meant to be. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:03 PM   #9

Lou, the bird looks washed out to me - probably overexposed. I tinkered with the image a bit, which I think improves it some, but I am not satisfied with the shade of blue for an adult male. Although. I haven't seen an Eastern one in quite a while, they are not all that much different from the Westerns.

Name:  bluebirdr.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  43.6 KB

Last edited by penolta; Nov 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:34 PM   #10

Nice shot and particularly good clarity against the background. I like it.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote