Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:28 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Major lens envy here

I can't find any Exif data...what apertures were you using? The details is very sharp and so is the color rendition!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:32 PM   #12

All I can say is "WOW". That's SOME lens - the pictures are impressive as is the size of the lens. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to try a really long lens like that - I'll keep dreaming about it for now. In the meantime, keep posting those pictures, they are just awesome.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
detail is amazing. congratulations. they look wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
These are outstanding Marc!
Nice work. glad to hear you're feeling better too.
Definitely feeling better, just tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Now that's a lens and the pix are pin point clear.

Hards80, GW and lesmore: thank you and I hope to have more images soon. I had to setup that Giottos tripod so it could handle shooting with min. vibration.

Now I must decide on which Gitzo to buy: GT3541XLS or GT554LS... That 5541LS tripod is a monster, no question!

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Whoa what a lens and what amazing shots.

Rodney
My honor to share them Rodney - nature's beauty is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Definitely not something you want to take hiking, But what great results exceptional detail.

Ed
Hi Ed, actually I will be hiking more than a few times with it, so I'll be getting a Lowepro 600 AW II backpack or a Kinesis setup. It's a requirement, especially for certain kinds of wildlife. Thank you for the kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
Great shots! Impressive detail.
bb2
Thank you Beachboy2!

Regards,
Marc

Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Congrats on the new lens - looks to be worth every penny. That Wren shot is something special.
Hi Penolta, I hope you are doing well! I too really like that Carolina Wren - it's a special shot for me. The wren landed and just started singing it's heart out, so I got that and just one other shot - then it was gone! Considering I took only 24 shots in poor light and with an inadequate support setup (tripod legs), I am very pleased with the image quality. Most are simply slightly OOF due to the birds' sudden movements. They certainly don't perch and still still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Fantastic shots. Congratulations on what looks to be a very fine piece of glass!
Hi John, thank you and much appreciated - pleased to make your acquaintance!

It's a super piece of glass, definitely sharp wide open across the focal length range, which is amazing. What is helpful is it's power zoom motor: you can twist the focusing ring in PZ mode to go from 250-->600mm in less than a second or vice versa. It goes as fast or slow as you wish, similar to how a variable speed drill functions. That zoom is very useful for finding a subject within the viewfinder at 250mm then going as high as 600mm if needed. I often shoot with both eyes open, so it's more of a convenience than anything for being at 250mm.

The biggest benefit for me is (often) less time spent with framing, composition, etc. in PP. You have the flexibility of the zoom vs. a prime, yet it's as sharp wide open as any prime I've tried so far (eg. Sigma 500/4.5).

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; Nov 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Major lens envy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I can't find any Exif data...what apertures were you using? The details is very sharp and so is the color rendition!

The EXIF data is right below each image - where it says "Link to EXIF". I've pasted the basic details below each photo as a courtesy, but you can see more in those links.

Thank you for the kind words too - I agree aboutthe color rendition with this lens - very natural yet vibrant. I am certain I am going to enjoy using this lens for both personal/portfolio usage and when teaching a class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
All I can say is "WOW". That's SOME lens - the pictures are impressive as is the size of the lens. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to try a really long lens like that - I'll keep dreaming about it for now. In the meantime, keep posting those pictures, they are just awesome.
Thank you very much for the kind words about the images.

You can go a little cheaper with the Sigma 150-500 or 50-500 as a budget option.

Regards,
Marc

PS. Looks like I'm going to Yellowstone next year with a group of folks, so be forewarned!

Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:40 AM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Duh..on the Exif. Guess I was so enthralled with the images, I failed to see the exif info at the bottom. In any event, that these were taken at f/5.6 makes it even more impressive!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:39 AM   #18

amazing pics from an amazing piece of kit
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:12 AM   #19

So glad you have this fine piece of equipment, so you can share more of the amazing creation! Your skilled hands and eyes are the best of the equipment! Thanks for sharing these here - I know you will also use them in many other venues, to encourage nature appreciation and protection.

Your titmice reminded me, I was watching a flock of them a few days ago in a large patch of kudzu. They were carefully opening the ripe pods and scattering the hulls - I had no idea they would eat kudzu seeds!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:54 AM   #20

Nice images.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote