Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:23 PM   #1

Default Last of Washington Pictures

Here's a few more from my trip to Washington.

One day we went to Salt Creek County Park, and then drove on to Cape Flattery.

Salt Creek has some nice tide pools and the best time to visit is at low tide. That turned out to be early morning. (K7, Photo Matix HDR)

The rocks were slippery and I had a tough time even with boots. But I did manage a couple of sea anemones. It took me a while to figure out that using a circular polarizer, even though it was cloudy and not great light, was better than not using one. It makes for shutter speeds that are really too slow and I didn't want to go back for my forgotten monopod. (K7, Viv Series One 105mm macro, circular polarizer)

On our way to Cape Flattery, I spotted this bird looking for his lunch. I think this is the first time I've seen a bald eagle outside of a zoo. The DA*300 was really too short for getting a decent shot - this is the best of the ones I took. (K7, DA*300)

Cape Flattery (depending on your resource and the tides) is the westernmost point in the contiguous US. It's on an Indian reservation and is a short walk to several viewpoints on the promontory. (K7, DA*50-135)

The Pacific Ocean view from the first promotory. (K7, DA 12-24)

Strait of Juan de Fuca (K7, DA*50-135, Photo Matix HDR and photoshop stitched panorama)

There's an island not far off shore, with a lighthouse (K7, DA*300).

One end of the island (K7, DA*50-135).

We also visited the heritage center in Neah Bay and was really impressed. They have signs saying no photography, so no pictures, but it was well worth visiting. Neah Bay and Cape Flattery is not close to anything, but well worth visiting.

That covers our trip, now it's on to our next one. I really need to spend some time trying to find out just where to go and what to see.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

very nice series. some great photos in there.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3

I thought some of these (especially #1, 5 & 6) were some of your best when I saw them on your site, and they look even better now. Well done.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:08 PM   #4

Those are gorgeous! Really like 1 and 5.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the compliments - I thought you might have liked the first one, Penolta, since you had previously mentioned the Salt Creek pictures and the others weren't as good in my opinion.

Now I'm no longer sure - #5 might be another Photo Matix picture (exif leads me to believe it is since there's no shutter speed/aperture figures, just the focal length and camera information). The lighting was difficult when we were there - very bright sunshine - so I took a number of bracketed shots, as well as series for panoramas.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:57 AM   #6

Haven't seen a not "very good" photo from you in a long time. Using or not using HDR you have become the Master of Dynamic Range, in this series #1 and #4 stand out IMO.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:51 AM   #7

These are all great Harriet.
I know the thrill you must have experienced getting that eagle shot. even though I see a lot of them around here I still haven't been able to capture a decent shot of an adult.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:17 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series...your photolog has put ONP on my list of places to visit.

I really like #3 (Bald Eagle) and #4 (pathway in the woods).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:02 PM   #9

Beautiful, Harriet. I really like #1 and 4. Stunning!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:57 PM   #10

Thanks for the compliments! I almost didn't post #4 - I really like the picture but there's a bit that's blown out. I didn't bracket it (and wish now that I had) because I wanted the play of light and dark, not an evenly lit scene.

GW - I was delighted that I spotted the eagle, though it wasn't hard. As you can see from the picture, he was by himself on the rocks, and a bird that size sure stands out. He did turn his head to check me out, but then decided I was no threat and went back to staring into the water. It was thrilling for me.