Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:27 AM   #1

Default Got myself a Bigmos!

oh glad to see things are back up and running here not been able to get in here for about 3 days

anyway i got a sigma 150-500mm (my first hsm lens! oh my god its great, no whining from lens gears etc, hate putting normal lens on my camera now!!)

now living in scotland and it coming into winter light is a slight prob at this time of year specially since rare to get evena properly sunny day so been struggling abit but got afew pic that aslong as you dont look to close aren't to bad dispite shooting at iso 1600 (does make me think that a kx for this time of year might be a nice idea)

the robin was taken hand held the curlew in a tripod

all were taken at 500mm with the lens wide open and high iso the curlew at 1600 cant remember what the robin was but since it was handheld probably at least that and all have been cropped to make a nicer image
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:34 AM   #2

These are really nice - love the first robin! I know what you mean about the Kx - it's high ISO would come in handy for things like this. I wonder how badly one of the noise reduction software programs would mangle the original picture?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3

well i have run some noise reduction in photoshop on these but without going overboard and losing all detail its pretty hard to get rid of it completely

yeah if it wasn't for the fact that the battery performance of the kx i would be seriously contemplating it - but the amount of glass in the sigma 150-500mm i figure that its gonna take a lot of juice to move it around - suppose i could manual focus though

anyway in no rush so plenty of time to consider - perhaps the k8 or whatever it will be called will come out in the fall next year and might be tempting enough and that would leave me all summer to practice with the lens when there should be ample light (weather permitting) for my k7 - would also save me some money as its bad enough that i have caught a bad case of LBA i dont need to start buying camera bodies left right and center too
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:59 PM   #4

Nicely done with those settings. Looks like you're going to enjoy that lens.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:13 PM   #5

LOL! I know what you mean about CBA vs. LBA. I've been looking at the K-x pictures people are posting and wondering how I can justify another camera (I can't!!!). So far I've been able to resist pretty easily and for the moment my LBA is more or less under control. It won't be if I keep looking at your pictures taken with the 150-500 - sure looks like a good lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:59 PM   #6

Nice looking shots and quite the lens you have there, enjoy it and keep posting! I love to see extreme tele shots!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:47 PM   #7

Great captures of both birds - very dynamic view of the curlew, and the robin so bright and sharp. Thanks for sharing!

I've been using Noiseware Pro with PSE - just selecting the background to denoise, and leaving the subject "un-denoised." This helps me to removie distractions in the background, without losing detail in the subject.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote