Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:08 PM   #1

Default Quick Hike up Rocky Fork

Had a few hours yesterday afternoon for a quick hike at the Rocky Fork Wilderness Area. Each time I visit, I try to find a different trail, logging road, etc., and usually end up a bit lost!
Yesterday we hiked an old overgrown logging road that followed one of the side branches of the creek on up to a ridge. Hoping for great views, but did not find them. Did find some lovely young woodlands. (Which perspective do you prefer?)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:10 PM   #2

Not many wildlife views (the dogs are great at scaring critters away before I can photograph them!), although we did see lots of Black Bear tracks. Some fine views of the few remaining Sourwood leaves, and of the distinctive bark on Yellow Birch. (Late autumn is a perfect time to learn to recognize trees by their bark and their buds.)
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:12 PM   #3

At any season, the main appeal of Rocky Fork is the water. We did get thoroughly soaked, and enjoyed every minute of it. Also got to see some lovely views of the main flow of Rocky Fork.
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:14 PM   #4

The little creeks were very full, and full of lovely little waterfalls.
Which of the first two views do you prefer?
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:15 PM   #5

We got back before dark, wet and cold and full of great memories. Hope you enjoyed our little hike, and hope to see you "out on the trail" one of these days soon!
As always, please share your critical comments.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:31 PM   #6

Mole,
As always, I look forward to seeing your work. I'm having trouble deciding on the first set, but for no technical reason I prefer the portrait version of the young woodlands, maybe because it emphasizes vertical height. Also, I prefer the second (right hand) view of the little waterfalls. I think you saved the best for last, as that's my favorite on this post.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:21 PM   #7

Regarding the first two, I do agree about the portrait view accenting the vertical lines of the trees but the landscape view is nicely framed by the darker trees at the sides and the lines created by the trees lead nicely to the center top of the image.

It looks like the Rocky Fork might be a good trout stream, regulations permitting of course.

Your posts are a great way of sharing the beauty of your park areas.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:39 PM   #8

Hey Mole,
the first tow are both good in there own right, I can't say which is better.
I feel pretty much the sam for the water falls but, lean towards the second one.

Now the last one... that is one fantastic shot!
the kind I hope to capture some day.
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:47 PM   #9

I like the portrait orientation on the trees and the waterfall on the right. The pool and leaf in the foreground lend some interest to the photo for me.

The last shot is stunning!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:13 PM   #10

Wonderful shots! My reaction for your first two - I would normally prefer portrait for your trees (I've always taken pictures like that in that manner), but i prefer the landscape version because of the better framing.

For your three waterfall shots - I don't particularly care for the first one - it's not really interesting as an abstract and there's not enough of the scene to put it in its place for my taste. I like the middle one, it's got enough surroundings to make it both interesting and give it context. It's also different, not a normal waterfall shot. The third one (the one on the right) is a lovely waterfall shot. Your last one is simply spectacular.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote