Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1

Default New Accessory

I got a Hoya R72 filter today and dug out the K100 to play with it at lunch. The pictures are of nothing exciting, just some snaps near my office building. When I got home I followed some post-processing suggestions, some of which worked well, some I'm not quite happy with but not sure what to do differently than what I did. Any suggestions would be very greatly appreciated as far as the post processing.

First two pictures are similar, but have been processed somewhat differently. I can't decide which is better (other than I should crop one of them, I think):

I was pretty happy with the black and white conversions:

I'm not really happy with the "false color" versions I came up with - think I need to change something but I'm not sure exactly what.

Here's a black and white version:

Here's a color version. Would it be better if I lowered the saturation?

Another shot:

And different approaches to the color issue - it's still not quite what I want, though close:

For those that are wondering at the strange colors and what a R72 filter is/does, here's the picture straight out of the camera without any processing at all:

This is the first time I've ever played around with infrared photography of any sort so I'm really not sure what I'm doing. The R72 filter blocks most visible light, allowing some red but mostly infrared light through. I read some things on the internet and followed the directions given, but if anyone can give me some hints about where to go from here, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by mtngal; Nov 18, 2009 at 8:08 AM. Reason: Corrected the "P" to an "R" (duh!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2

Very nice Harriet! Did you mean R72 filter instead of P72?

Anyway this is where a lot of IR info is located:
http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3

Of course I meant R72 - it's after my bedtime and I'm only half-thinking about words (thinking more of the pictures). And speaking of that, you're up late, too Tom!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:22 AM   #4

Hard to make any decisions here but I like the black and white conversions better than the colour, they have an eerie glow that is quite striking. IR photography is a whole different way to look at the world isn't it. How to you set focus and exposure with the R72?
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:31 AM   #5

Harriet, your B&W are as they should be and nicely done. The color you are getting is the same as what I achieved with the R72 and K100 combo.

I have never been able get color that I am happy with although I have seen examples from others that I do like, but just can't get there.

This PS tutorial may be helpful.
http://www.tutorial9.net/photography...d-photography/

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:07 AM   #6

Lou - I read that tutorial earlier and another one said much the same thing about the processing using the channel mixer. I'm also looking for answers with the color options as I didn't think any of my color versions were quite what I want.

Ira - I used both the kit lens and the FA 77 for these pictures (bet you can guess which ones were taken with which lens!). The camera's AF mechanism seems to do all right with the focus, but I did use a bigger aperture than I might have otherwise.

Exposure is a bit hit-or-miss. In bright sunlight the K100 did well on its own when I had it set for +2 Ev, and I had to have that dialed in when I set the custom white balance. It didn't handle a scene that wasn't as brightly lit, so I used M mode, dialed in the same aperture and started slowing down the shutter speed until I got what looked right (and which the histogram confirmed was close to being appropriately exposed).

It's actually a bit easier than I had expected, from reading about it. The post processing is what is going to take the most time to figure out. But that's usually fun, too.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:16 PM   #7

i like this one best

i like the colours - the focus is good

way better than my infrared attempts - makes me wanna try again but scottish winter dont think the sun will be strong enough sadly

anyway good job - look forward to seeing more infra red stuff from you
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:48 PM   #8

Scottish winter might be a problem - not much green to use for setting the custom white balance.

I played some more today, this time putting the R72 filter on the K-7. There's a significant difference, but that's going to be in another thread.