Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:07 AM   #21

What a terrible thing that has happened to you and your family. I'm a Christian, and shouldn't be hoping for evil to befall the perps, but I do. I hope they catch them and give them stiff penalties. Resisting arrest and a case of DRT would be ideal.
As for the rest of us, let's know this could be happening to us. Some suggestions: Get a good buglary alarm system installed, and use it. Keep a dog which will bark at the slightest disturbance. Keep little cash or small valuables at home. Install an encryption on your computer so it can't be started without the password. Back up your computer regularly, preferably off site, or make DVD's and store copies with trusted neighbors or relatives.
And pray regularly that you avoid such troubles as our friend.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:38 AM   #22

Very sorry to hear about your situation. Theft is terrible but vandalism is so senseless, I hope things work out for you.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:14 AM   #23

Sorry to have heard of your troubles down there. I know what it means to lose and I have been losing since I helped out some idiots that were living in a bus.... and then my own iID was being used by some one unknown that I know of I had gotten a call from a credit company and she asked if I ever lived in Calif I never lived there and then when I was in Missouri I was told I was one Blue sheild in 2002 I did not ever go to that state till2007 so some one has had my information since god knows when and there are many possibilites of who has done this.. it is a sick world we live in and people out there think we owe them casue we have worked hard for but they seem to take as well when they work hard for its that they spend thier money on things that they dont know how to get thats the problem and they love to cause problems for others... I hardley ever leave home with out some one else being home now days for I know they are lurking some where. Moat all the companies have people that work on both sides and that is what I call unfair. I know I had gotten a CB Radio from some down and outs in a trailer park which has since been torn down it was a historical house of Denny family yes the Denny family farms the same Denny that Denny street was named for well any way I noticed that this CB radio when ever I drove in other richer hoods had a beep sound as if it was picking up the actual codes in the entry boxes as if it was decoding them and then some where it was recived... I asked Rubber Duck CB when I went in looking if they knew anything about this sound I was having... and they kinda looked as if opps and today they are not even there in Renton they too are gone... you tell me if some one is wrong about what they have done passing off a CB to me like that...there is more I figured out as well another sound is missing and that sound was a humming when ever I drove over to the Pennisula whenI lived on the other side I dont know if it is still around or not cause I have not used the CB in years...since I noticed that it controlled my sons remotes and I was asking if maybe they had some kind of trigger on some of the planes that have been grounded.. really makes me wonder again I am sorry but just so you knpow what I do know... I hope all ghets recovered I know even if you do as you can to help your self its astilla loss once they gain the rest .... and to know some rich out in the country dont have to worry cause they have the boys that will beat the heck out of the ones whom do this kind of stuff.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:20 PM   #24

After rereading this I can see from both sides of the lines here I have known some that stolen and I tell you its cause they are poor or its cause they have a habit or they hate and that last one has a list of many whys to go thru there... I was told that my Laptop could be traced but I had to have the numbers to do that well it was a gift and the receipt was sitting here in Washington.. when I got back here I found it and called in and I got oh no we can not do that but make sure you make a police report .. I know they can do that but maybe the toll free number can not do it.. and then if it was bought as a gift the buyer would be the one that would get the compensation that sucks and I had information not just on my self but I had copied three of children s BC and SS cards so I would have them if I lost the originals thinking no one would steal my lap top . but it did and to day after all that and toying with the computer I know I have some kind of hook up to the computer as well some one being smart thinking they can get a lot of information that wayhearing every thing knowing every thing how its dont i am not so sure but for a chip now that really sucks for whom in the places of high security would I not know that I cant trust . life is to hard to day in the way things have gone I love the computer but yet there are loads of people out there taking others personel information for them selves.. and living a carefree life style...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
What a terrible thing that has happened to you and your family. I'm a Christian, and shouldn't be hoping for evil to befall the perps, but I do. I hope they catch them and give them stiff penalties. Resisting arrest and a case of DRT would be ideal.
As for the rest of us, let's know this could be happening to us. Some suggestions: Get a good buglary alarm system installed, and use it. Keep a dog which will bark at the slightest disturbance. Keep little cash or small valuables at home. Install an encryption on your computer so it can't be started without the password. Back up your computer regularly, preferably off site, or make DVD's and store copies with trusted neighbors or relatives.
And pray regularly that you avoid such troubles as our friend.
Old Engineer
Wanting justice and wanting people to be responsible for their actions isn't unchristian. Forgiveness doesn't mean absence of consequences and these folks certainly need to experience consequences that are appropriate for their actions. Maybe if these people had suffered consequences (like consistent discipline from their parents when they were younger), for their actions sooner, they wouldn't have done such a terrible act.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:17 PM   #26
Super Moderator

GW - very sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. wish you and yours the best as you move on.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:46 PM   #27

Default Wow! What an incredible extension of kindness here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
GW, I've been very busy for the past few days, and I only read this now. I can't tell you how sorry I am. It's sickening. I realize this isn't much of an offer, but if your camera gear was stolen, you're welcome to have my K100D , 18-50 kit lens, and 50-200 lens. The K100 only records photos in jpeg mode -- last summe it stopped recording in raw mode, and I was never able to figure out how to remedy that. The K100 body and the two lenses I mentioned have been sitting around untouched since August, when I got my K20, so I won't miss them.

I realize it's not much of an offer, but it sounds like you'll have to replace many items, and it may be a while before you can get a decent camera. If you'd like the body and lenses, just shoot me a private message.
MTNMAN: thank you for inspiring generosity and giving!
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:35 PM   #28

I know it is no consolation, GW, but I feel your pain here. I have been broken into twice now, in 2 different locations.

I know that stomach turning feeling of have your home violated and goods stolen - the second time I had only recently moved in, so was uninsured....

This is something happening all to often in all countries where there is no decent deterrent from the law, and PC do gooders say a stern word is enough, but it's not!

I hope you can stay positive and see you way through this terrible event, although it will take time.

My thoughts are with you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:40 PM   #29

Default My thoughts are with you!!

Wow, been away for a while and this is the first time I saw this thread! Sounds like kids to me, since they trashed the house, so hopefully they will tell others about what they did and you will get some of your things back.

I know it is a feeling of extreme violation when this happens to you, but at least you were not home when they broke in. I hope it works out for you in the end and that you get the majority of your items replaced.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:32 PM   #30

Allow me to add my condolences. The feeling of violation takes a long time to fade, and if you are like most of us, you will probably be at least partly blaming yourself for not foreseeing and taking precautions against this. Don't. The unexpected is just that.
With luck, some or most, of your possessions will be recovered. This sounds like the work of Meth addicts, and they are not known for being terribly bright. The police will very likely know where to look.
Best wishes for a decent resolution.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote