Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:03 PM   #1

Default Kildeer and friends

Was trying form some better Grebe shots yesterday, but they were even shier than before! But there were some other bolder birds out at the shore, despite the cold & damp.

There are nearly always crowds of Canada Geese around the lake, especially near the picnic places - they are such panhandlers!
Here are a few views - any preferences?
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:06 PM   #2

The ever-patient Great Blue Heron was back at the dock - this time perched on one of the lockers. He was SO STILL that I decided to try some more comparison DOF shots (needed for an upcoming photo class...) Was amazed to see how sharp the wide open shot is, and also to see how still he was (the second shot, at F32, was a 2 second exposure).
Do you think these will help people see the effect of F Stop on DOF?
Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:07 PM   #3

No luck with the Grebes this time, but a rather tolerant Kildeer allowed my close approach. Here are a few samples...
Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:09 PM   #4

Our state parks are full of life (bird and otherwise) every day. I sure am blessed to get to watch and work with them!

Hope you enjoyed these lakeside "feathered friends!" Looking forward to your comments and critique.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:51 PM   #5

So thats where our summer birds are!..Very nice photos,Mole..Especially the heron..when they are here they are so skittish so it's very hard to catch one.The killdeers always around our little offices which are surrounded by gravel so we have to be careful not to run them and their eggs over.And there are still some Canadas on the lake here..slowly getting surrounding by ice on the lake.I keep telling them to get going..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:59 PM   #6

Well done , terrific avian shots, nice light, and good detail.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:35 AM   #7

Nice shots. The GBH pictures are a fine example of DOF. The Kildeer shots are outstanding!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:37 PM   #8

Another nice set of shots. Were these all taken with the big lens? If you're like we are around here, the Canada Geese are examples of the houseguests who wouldn't leave. A great deal of trouble was taken a few years ago to prepare habitat that would get them to winter here; however, they liked it so well that they have become year-round residents and have crowded out native species by hogging the food supplies.

I really like the killdeer shots. I see killdeer nearly every time I go to the fish hatchery to shoot birds, but I can seldom get close enough for a really good photo simply because they are so skittish. Yours are very nicely done.

I agree with Lou that the GBH shots will be good illustrations for DOF.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:45 AM   #9

Kashka - Glad you enjoyed them, and sorry to be "stealing" your birds (I promise we'll send them back!!!). Most of our GB Herons are also very shy, but this one individual has decided that humans are beneath his/her notice...

Rodney - thanks so much! Your bird shots are always so clear & detailed.

Lou - thanks! The kildeer was a bit of a challenge - trying to race after him with that 10 pound lens... I found the best cover behind a trash can!

Paul - yes all taken with the 135-600. Our Canadas are also the result of re-introductions some years ago. The same folks who were so excited to see them return are now "excited" about all the messes they leave on our paved fitness path. I agree about the kildeer - usually very tough to approach (except at the nest), but this guy finally gave in to my persistence...