Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:05 AM   #1

Default How bad is this picture?

Was trying (unsuccessfully) to get a clear shot at a Hawk circling over a young woodland. Was going to discard all the shots (mostly OOF branches, sky with just a wingtip, etc.) but this one caught my eye. I know it is very blurry, but its mood still appeals to me. Would value your opinion. Thanks!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:40 AM   #2

It's okay. But, the white stripe going from bottom left corner to top right is distracting to me.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:58 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ditto on what Patty says...a lot of distracting elements.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:09 PM   #4

I agree with patty and Jelpee.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:27 PM   #5

Great photography it is not, and so often you post great photographs. I can see what you would be attracted to - the light on the underwings is very appealing. But the hawk is blurry. If it were sharp with the branches blurry like they are, it would be rather fun. As it is, I think it's in the "almost" category (those that I take where the idea is cool but the execution is faulty or just didn't work out). If I had taken it I would sigh and probably keep it for myself, knowing that I like it in spite of its significant faults.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Was trying (unsuccessfully) to get a clear shot at a Hawk circling over a young woodland. Was going to discard all the shots (mostly OOF branches, sky with just a wingtip, etc.) but this one caught my eye. I know it is very blurry, but its mood still appeals to me. Would value your opinion. Thanks!
I recall you have an AF long lens which definitely had problem tracking bird in flight in and out of dense distracting branches. You went through your shot like mine in this

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-af-shots.html

What differs is that I could focus on the bird while panning as my MF lens can see through (ignore) those branches in between.
I really cannot advise you what to do as even the best of Canon/Nikon AF would have got the focus of the branches instead too. Pentax focus tracking is still in its infancy

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:37 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the honest critique! I knew this was not much of a photo for accurately depicting the hawk, just liked how it looked for "art" sake. I may still play with it a bit... But you are right, the blurred branch is indeed a distraction.
Daniel - mine is a MF lens, the bad focus is operator error (and slow reaction time!)...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:24 PM   #8

ok, so you know i have two sides to me, the "artist" side and the "photographer" side. the "artist side" of me loves this picture, wants it up on my wall, is intrigued by the focus and the fact that you managed to 'frame' the bird in a blue sky, by use of the out-of-focus branches. i can see how everyone didn't like this photo as a technically good photograph, but at the same time, artistically, i want to keep looking at it. which makes me think that it is a good image, just maybe for a different group of people than those who have been following your beautiful and precise/ technically acurate photographs. yup. (and you owe me two cents. hahaha)
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:19 PM   #9

I like the colouring...half brown...half white of the hawk...quite a severe and exact demarcation line on the Hawk's body. Never seen that before and I've seen quite a few hawks in my day.

I'm curious why the colouring would be like that ? Maybe the shadowing and angle of the Hawk gives that illusion...half and half.

As far as the technical merits of the pix go...it is a bit hazy in a soft sort of way...looks very much like a picture of a dream...I kind of like it. I wouldn't touch it as I would be afraid to lose that dreamy quality...I like it...has an art like quality to it.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:42 PM   #10

''How bad is this picture? ''

too bad,,,,,,,,,
i'd not waste my time
robar is offline   Reply With Quote