Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Hollywood & Santa Monica

Hollywood & Santa Monica
40Ltd & 18-250

"Marilyn" compliments of Madame Tussauds in Hollywood
Name:  025.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  029.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  77.9 KB

Dark, no tripod
Name:  063.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  62.6 KB

In camera filters used on this one:

Name:  IMGP9438.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  167.8 KB

Last edited by cameanee; Nov 24, 2009 at 9:19 AM. Reason: to add origin of Marilyn
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:37 AM   #2

Default car on pier

Name:  147.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  53.6 KB
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3

Default Boys on pier

Name:  212.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  60.5 KB
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4

Very nice series! I especially like the last two - the car is an excellent shot and the pier full of atmosphere. Your Marilyn impersonator isn't believable, but that's not the photographer's fault.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Very nice street scenes, Cameanee. Recently saw a tv documentary about Route 66, which showed the same sign as in your last photo. Apparently, there's some controversy about whether that is actually the official end of Route 66.

BTW, I think the Marilyn impersonator is a knock-out, but maybe that's just the opinion of a DOM.

I would think the replica of the Dusenberg cost a fortune, and if I were the owner, I would be more than a little upset about the terrible fit of the door. I'm really into old cars, and I would have stepped back and included more from the same low angle.

Nice stuff. Keep it up.
neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:27 PM   #6

That's a cool series. I assume the "Marilyn" shots were with the DA 40mm Ltd?

I've been wanting to get that lens, but already have an FA 50mm 1.4. For that little difference in FL, I don't think I would make use of both. I think I can sell my FA 50mm for at least what I paid for it. The difference in aperature (1.4 vs. 2.8) though makes me think I should keep the 50mm. So it comes down to image quality - Any thoughts on the FA 50mm vs. the DA 40mm Ltd. would be appreciated.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:25 PM   #7

I really like the shots you took in Santa Monica. Nice!

But, and this isn't anything to do with you, but my opinion on Marilyn is she is the ugliest I have ever seen. Sorry to offend anyone.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:38 AM   #8

Nice series - great job of capturing the mood and details. Also fine work with the rapidly varying lighting conditions.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:14 AM   #9

Great series, Cameanee. You seem to be getting the most from the in camera filters on the K-7; they are something I have yet to play with.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:57 AM   #10

After reading your comments I had to go back and edit my original post. In my haste to post the series before I was off to work, I forgot to mention that "Marilyn" was compliments of Madame Tussauds in Hollywood. It was hard to get her by herself, as tons of tourists were taking pix "with" her.

AND I also needed to add that these photos were taken with the 40mm. Which I'm still learning to use and loving every second with it.

NEIL: I didn't even notice the door 'til you mentioned it. I would have loved to have more room for stepping back, but it wasn't an option as I would have been in the direct path of crazy Santa Monica traffic. The angle I shot it at was the best I could do to eliminate passersby, other cars, and a huge ugly parking lot meter sitting to the left of this car.

MOLE: We got to the pier about an hour or so before sunset. Often I forget to compensate for the lighting (or lack of) while I'm snapping away.

HARRIET & PATTY: I wasn't sure if I liked her so much either, but she didn't complain about me moving about. Also, unlike all the other impersonators on the Blvd., she didn't charge ;]

JIM: I own a FA 50 1.4 and enjoy it's shallow DOF and ability to take captures in low light. The 40mm Ltd is new to me. I wish I could get all technical & offer you a comparison to the 50, but can only say that I'm VERY glad to have it. I'm keeping both.

LOU: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the K-7 filters. Coming up from the K100d (which is a gem), the K-7 is sweet. For me, the filters are just the cherry on top. Since I never learned to used the PS 7.0 picked up for me years ago, these filters give me enough to play with. Actually, since I've been using the filters, it's encouraged me to give PP on the computer another go at it. Still not successful, but trying.