Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:46 AM   #1

Default Nutcracker Fix?

Shot this at a performance of The Nutcracker with the Km and the Pentax 50mm 1.4. I tried to fix the ghosting on the feet with the clone tool but failed. Any suggestions? Yes, it really was as red as it looks. Thanks.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I think it is outstanding! I like the little bit of ghosting since it conveys the motion of the jump! I like the lighting--very natural. Also the expression on the faces are well captured.

The only suggestion I might make is to crop out the lights at the bottom (on the stage)...but not sure if it would affect the overall impact of the picture. Alternatively, you could crop out the dancer on the right and just have the two shown in portrait style to capture part of the stage.

You look like you had good seats! Any restrictions on taking a DSLR and photographing the event?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:53 PM   #3

Hi pboerger,

I think that the only program that will fix motion blur effectively is Focus Magic. This is my long time default sharpener.

I use PSPP X2, so the workflow might not be the same for other programs, but I selected the feet only, using the selection editing mode and the eraser tool, then applied motion blur fix at 270 degrees at about 5 pixels and 50% three separate times ( I always find that multiple applications at smaller levels works better). This caused some halos and color accentuation, so I corrected these small areas with the clone brush in color and luminance modes.

This only took a couple of minutes, and isn't the greatest job since it's on such a downsized image but I think that you can get an idea.

I've used this technique to selectively slight motion blur in parts of my bird images, and it's the only thing I've found that works.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:23 PM   #4

While I'm amazed at how nicely Scott's version came out (note to self - look closer at Focus Magic), I think I prefer the original with motion blur. It's kind of like looking at a helicopter taken with a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the blades - it looks really strange. You did a good job with this one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:24 AM   #5

Got to agree with Harriet - the "repair" work by Scott (& focus magic) is amazing, but I like the slight blurring in the original....
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:30 AM   #6

Thanks folks. It never occured to me that the blured feet added to the picture. I cropped and uncropped the stage lights. Cropped, it left the dancers hanging in the air. Overall, I was very pleased with the shot. The rule at this theater is no flash. I did, however, get the what the heck is that noise looks because of the mirror slap from an audience member in front of me. I tried to shoot only when the music was loud. Thanks for the tip on Focus Magic.

Last edited by pboerger; Nov 25, 2009 at 7:32 AM. Reason: Addition
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote