Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Default First shots with K-7

Here are my first shots with my K-7. These were shot on a gloomy day at Epcot. I used the standard kit lens 19-55 DA, and the 55-300 DA. So far I'm very happy as these are my first shots using a DSLR. I came from a Lumix FZ30.
Attached Images

tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:41 PM   #2

Nice variety. You are off to a good start. Welcome to the Forum and keep them coming!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM   #3

They do look really nice! A very good start with a new camera and a whole new way of doing things. Are you intimidated by the owners manual or not? The K-7 wasn't my first dSLR, but I was sure intimidated by the manual and trying to figure out where everything was. Maybe it's easier for you since you are starting off from scratch?

In any case, I like your introduction and don't hesitate to ask questions. All of us here enjoy asking questions - chances are we've asked the same thing sometime in the distant past.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:41 PM   #4

Nice pix...welcome to the Pentax DSLR fold. I don't have a K7, but do have a K10D and a KM (K2000 in USA).

I also have the lenses you have...I particularly like the 55-300 for wildlife photography.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:04 PM   #5

Tony, great first shots! Looks like you are getting the hang of the K-7 quickly. Glad to have you with us on the forum.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Tony, great first shots! Looks like you are getting the hang of the K-7 quickly. Glad to have you with us on the forum.

Lou
Thanks to everyone! So far I really do like this camera. I may need some help with the manual mode. I know that's where the real power of the camera is.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7

I'm not so sure I agree that the manual mode is where the camera's real power is. I think the real power is the photographer's knowledge of what's the best exposure for a scene and how to get it out of the camera.

The K-7's own metering system is very, very good, better than I can do on my own. I tend to look at a scene, decide what it is I want to take and emphasize (do I want a particular depth of field (DOF) or do I want a particular shutter speed or does it matter). I usually use the P mode and then change whichever value I want (assuming the camera has chosen something I don't want). That's what I like about the P mode - you can either let the camera do it's own thing and use it as a large point n shoot, or you can over-ride it by a quick flick of the finger (either changing aperture or shutter speed) and not have to change anything on the mode dial. I think that's one of the most powerful tools - the ability to quickly change either shutter speed or aperture on the fly, without taking the camera from your eye.

If I think the camera is going to struggle with metering, I'll set an Ev to compensate, or change the metering mode (I do lots of macro flowers and find spot metering a great help - but it's lousy for shooting sports where one team wears black uniforms!).

If I want a specific shutter speed and aperture combination, I'll use the TAv mode - that way I set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO to complete the correct exposure. The camera does a much better job than I do on such things.

And I check the pictures often, to make sure that the camera IS judging things correctly. Recently I've been shooting with an IR filter and that throws the camera's metering system way off - manual is the only way to get a proper exposure. But my personal opinion is that the way Pentax did their hyper-program mode is the biggest power gain.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:26 AM   #8

Tony - some wonderful and diverse photos - looks like that fine camera is in some fine and capable hands! Will look forward to seeing more of your work.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote