Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:34 AM   #1

Default Some hungry birds

Was going through some recent photos here in the park, and noticed a common theme of birds eating. None are great photos - just snapshots along the trail - but still might be interesting.
Noticed these large dark friends in the creek, and had to stop and see why vultures had suddently become water birds. Looks like someone left us a "present" of a deer carcass, and the "buzzards" were helping to clean things up!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:36 AM   #2

Now for some smaller birds. This has been a great crop year for many trees, and the Sweetgums are full of seed-balls. But why was a flock of Goldfinches so busy about the sweetgums? Goldfinches are seed eaters, but I had no idea they would eat sweetgum seeds!
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:40 AM   #3

From late fall to early spring, the Titmice work in mixed flocks, working together with Chicadees, Nuthatches, Brown Creepers, and small
Woodpeckers. All seem to feed mostly on tiny insects, but divide up the labor by specializing on different parts of the tree.
This one titmouse picked up something beneath a pin oak that was not a bug! Not sure why he wanted an empty nut shell (sometimes small insects hide inside them...), but he sure looked funny! He did finally drop it...
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:42 AM   #4

Those mixed winter flocks usually include a few small woodpeckers. One larger woodpecker joined this flock for a while. Our Pileated Woodpeckers are very shy, so it was great to get such a nice peek at this one. Can you see his tongue?
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:43 AM   #5

Late fall is such a fine time to be out in the woods and fields with the feathered folk. Sure hope you enjoyed this stroll!
Thanks for any comments or suggestions for improving!!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:59 AM   #6

I've haven't been lucky enough to see a Pileated Woodpecker in the wild yet. He's a beauty! Another lovely series.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:36 AM   #7

Shy indeed! I have only seen one Pileated Woodpecker in real life, so it was a delight to see your image of one today. Enjoyed the stroll.

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:32 PM   #8

Actually I prefer to see pictures of birds doing something, rather than just sitting still and looking pretty, although I admire those too. Now, all you have to do is find an Ivory Billed Woodpecker!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:37 PM   #9

Mole,
Another great series. You seem to have a great appreciation for the environment you live and work in. You are truly blessed. I work in a factory, where cameras aren't allowed, and even if they were I wouldn't risk bringing a dSLR in such a dirty dusty place.
Thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:02 AM   #10

Gary - Thanks for your kind words. We have several pairs of Pileateds in the park, just usually to hard (for me) to approach very closely...

Dr. C. - Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed our little walk!

Penolta - I'll send you an ivory-billed photo as soon as you send me a few snapshots of your passenger pigeons!! A few years ago I was preparing a brochure for one of our park events, and (without thinking), included some clip art of an ivory-billed. The guest speaker said he'd forego his honorarium payment if we could guarantee the woodpecker's appearance at his event!

Jim - I am indeed blessed. Thanks so much, and glad you enjoyed the photos!