Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:24 AM   #11

Great pictures, Mole.

The vultures are not very attractive but perhaps to another vulture they are something to behold.

I enjoyed seeing the Mockingbirds; I don't see them up close often. I like #3 and its crop best.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:34 AM   #12

Nice work, Mole. The first and third pictures of the mockingbird are my favorites. You've told us in the past, but which camera and lens are you using here? I ask because, even though we're looking at reduced-size images on the Internet, the resolution in all of these shots is impressive. Very nice feather detail. Bokeh is also very nice in most of these shots. Enjoy your hike... we look forward to hearing from you when you get back.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:35 PM   #13

I think the second one is great - I like the symmetry of the over-the-shoulder looks. Since vultures roost communally, you can tell where these juveniles are in the pecking order - the white spots on their backs tell you that they are relegated to the lowest perches!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:43 PM   #14

Thanks to all for all the great comments!

Kjell & Harriet - I guess we could fill our birdfeeder with 'possum (a small flat marsupial often seen sleeping along Tennessee roadsides!) Harriet - glad you liked the Mockingbird!

Mtnman - thanks for the input!

Les - We have 100's of Black Vultures that roost near our park marina. Come see them "up close & personall" - just don't get too close, they do like to throw up at what disturbs them!

Paul - thanks for the detailed feedback on the Mocker photos - did not know it's your state bird too! We haven't seen any juncos here at lower elevations yet, but they are year-round residents up in the mts.

Lou - You may have hurt the vultures' feelings... Thanks for the input on the Mockingbirds - and glad you liked seeing him!

Biro - Thanks! These were all taken with Pentax K-M, and the Pentax 135-600 F6.7 manual lens. I am back from lots of family hikes, but not lots of photos - having too much fun enjoying the family...

Penolta - I had not noticed that - thanks for the fascinating information. Will have to check out our Vultures for the tell-tale spots. Is this true for both Black & Turkey vultures?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:42 PM   #15

The first couple and the last couple are my favourites, terrific detail.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Penolta - I had not noticed that - thanks for the fascinating information. Will have to check out our Vultures for the tell-tale spots. Is this true for both Black & Turkey vultures?
Yes - for everything that has a dominance hierarchy - from monkeys to butterflies - they all play King of the Hill, but some are cleaner than others. Vultures (and also storks) are particularly messy in their roosting habits, since they squirt themselves on the legs for evaporative cooling when it is hot.

Last edited by penolta; Nov 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote