Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:13 PM   #11

I agree that ! & 4 are special. The HDR is particularly effective in 4 - the perspective makes the formations look 3-dimensional.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:33 PM   #12

Very nice photos! ..looks like a wonderful vacation and your shots make me want to see that part of our continent.My fave is the first one..
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13

Thanks for the compliments! I know about the snow in Flagstaff - we came down that way on Sunday. I carefully figured that if we hit the area around Flagstaff in the middle of the afternoon, the roads should be fine. So we left in plenty of time to get down here by 4 - only we didn't figure on the couple of hours it took to go from Boulder City across Hoover Dam! It was a nightmare, and it ended up being after dark by the time we reached the split between I-40 and I-17. No ice, but I was concerned anyway.

I think I'm going to skip going to Red Rock Crossing and trying to get a picture of Cathedral Rock reflected in the water. Every book or article on Sedona features a picture taken from there. They charge extra for visiting there and I'm sure it would be jammed with photographers. I think I'll go somewhere else, there's just too many places that are equally beautiful and unique around here.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:47 AM   #14

All are lovely, but I will agree with most that first and last are outstanding. Wonderful capture of the color, texture and feeling of this fine place. Hope to see more of your great photos - thanks for "taking us along" on your vacation!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:35 PM   #15

AGAIN?!!
Isn't this the like the 9th vacation you've had in the last couple years? I think I want your job.
Seriously though, very nice photos Harriet.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:39 PM   #16

I get several weeks of vacation a year, but usually spread out the days, with only one or at the most two big vacations a year. This year we snuck in the mini-vacation to the eastern Sierras in late summer. Our regular big vacation this year was the trip to Washington and the Olympic National Park. Then a friend had an extra week that needed to be booked, so we've joined her in Sedona. This is probably going to be our last big vacation for a while - the 6% furloughs are starting to take a toll on our budget. And since we've got a couple of unexpected days off at Christmas (mandatory furlough days), we'll be going to St. George right before Christmas. For right now we're doing our part to help the economy, but it's not going to last much longer.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:48 PM   #17

Number one is a poster! Nice shot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:06 PM   #18

Yes, number one is my favorite as well. Sorry to hear that budget cuts will soon put a pinch in your travels; I'm sorry to say that the same thing is likely to affect my job soon. Thanks for bringing us along an this trip to an amazing part of our planet.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:36 AM   #19

Thanks for the compliments.

It could have been far worse - at least we still have jobs. And while we won't plan a big trip this year, we'll just substitute shorter trips to places closer to home. And there's tons of beautiful places to visit that are within a 500 mile drive from where I live.