Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:33 PM   #1

Default K-7 Reader's Choice Award

The Pentax K-7 has won Adorama's Reader's Choice Award for the most important camera introduced this year.

"The Pentax K-7 has been selected the Adorama Learning Center Reader's Choice Camera of 2009 by YOU. In a field of eight very deserving cameras, it won not just by a plurality of voters, but an outright majority, with 55% Adorama readers voting for it, an impressive achievement. The Leica M9 came in a distant second with 16% of the vote. The Olympus E-P1, Canon EOS 7D, Nikon D3s, Casio Exilim EX-FS10, Panasonic GH-1, and Sony A850 were all in the single digits."

It won with 2,748 votes. I wonder if all those were buyers?

See the whole story:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/blogartic...EmailALC120109
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:50 PM   #2
Administrator

I've seen threads elsewhere asking forum members to vote for the K-7. So, it does appear that there was a "behind the scenes" campaign going on by some Pentax users. ;-)

So, I think it's unlikely that all of the votes came from buyers. But, that does show how enthusiastic Pentax users are, and the ones that have this camera really seem to like it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:24 PM   #3

well i doubt that many extra would ahve voted though - maybe a couple hundred but not thousands - jsut not that many people on the forums

and a it won best advanced dslr in a non fixable award - gear of the year 2009 by practical photography mag (and afew other mags) as voted for by the people working for the mag not poll on the internet
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've seen threads elsewhere asking forum members to vote for the K-7. So, it does appear that there was a "behind the scenes" campaign going on by some Pentax users. ;-)I've seen one of those 'vote for the K7' campaigns too, I'm sure it made some kind of dent. I like the K7, but other competitors in the election...Leica M9, Olympus Pen, Canon 7D and Nikon D300s are also great.

I don't have a Canon or Nikon DSLR, but have great respect for each of these fine makes...good candidates...both.

The Leica M9...I have an old Leica 11F...great, tough little camera with a build quality that can really only be compared to a Russian or a German tank...very robust. Leica rangefindrs are an acquired taste...I have the taste...but even I will admit that the RF design doesn't allow for many lenses. ...and the price of Leica stuff...wow !!

Canon has great marketing and product distribution and the # of lenses/accessories is unparalleled...Nikon is not too far away.

I think the contest could of been a toss up between the D300s, D7 and K7...although I admit I'm surprised a bit, the Canon didn't get the Gold medal.

The CanonD7 is a great camera with many top features and it's new...couple that with the previously mentioned, Canon's unbeatable marketing and product distribution...hard to compete.

The Nikon D300s is a very good upgrade of a fine camera....but not enough 'new' to win...really it's the D300...with a nick of paint here. nick of paint there....but it does have the HD video added...but it's not really 'new'...more like an addendum to the fine D300.

The Olympus Pen...I dunno. I tried it... for the price it didn't grab me.I have a small clamshell 35mm Olympus...always liked the OM series...1 to 4 .

But the new retro Pen really doesn't seem to have much more than novelty to recommend it. It is different.

I believe I had to slip on a rangefinder with different Olympus lenses..expensive...not sure if this camera is a design that will take over much of the market .

Beautifully made, lovely to handle...maybe I'm just too much of a regular DSLR fan to appreciate it. I admit I'm not a good guy to judge this exquisite little camera.

So, I think it's unlikely that all of the votes came from buyers. But, that does show how enthusiastic Pentax users are, and the ones that have this camera really seem to like it.
That's also true...many Pentax fans are as you say...very enthusiastic about the product, very brand loyal.

I don't have the K7, but do have the K10D (very heavily used, very cold...to very hot as is the climate up here) and it's been reliable, durable...no problems after 2 + years. Also have KM...same deal, but just 6 months.

I would like a K7...but my better judgment (wife) has indicated as the K10D functions perfectly...it's hard to make a case for it's replacement with a K7.

I would like a K7 with a higher effective ISO and a few more megapixels...right now it's smack dab in between, the ASP-C high of the 7D (18 +) and the D300 (12 something).

Other than that... the weather resistance, cold resistance, robust build, etc...make it perfect- for my almost 100 % outdoor amateur, photography in Western Canada and the mid west to northern western US.

I'd love a K7 with some of the new weather resistant Pentax lens. Did I mentioned that I voted for the K7 in the 'election'.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:45 PM   #5

Well, I didn't vote but, if I had, it would have been for the K7... it's on my future buy list.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote