Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:47 PM   #1

Default how do I use Pentax-A lens with my k110?

I have the K110 and want to use an old Pentax-A 80-200mm lens.

I know this is a manual focus lens so I flip the switch on the camera body to disable the autofocus, however, the camera does not allow me to take a picture.

I read somewhere that I need to press a button just before taking a picture to allow the metering, which button is that?

Also, I noticed the big rubber zoom/focus ring seems loose, if I extend the zoom all the way and make the lens stand up, the lens does not stay extended on its own and collapse by gravity, is it supposed to do that?

I picked up this lens for a $5 at a garage sale, the optics seems mint and the aperture is snappy, hopefully I can use it with my K110

the lens in question is almost identical to the following one:
http://img246.imageshack.us/i/imgp8901smallbd3.jpg/

Last edited by manteiv; Dec 2, 2009 at 8:59 PM.
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:57 PM   #2

If it's like my K2000 you have to enable the Aperture ring and set the ring on the lens to "A"
Using aperture ring is one of the menu options, after that it's just like the kit lens
Here is a link with detailed instructions
http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Dec 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:07 PM   #3

My 80-200mm is just a "K" no auto aperture "A" and is a bit harder to use but still works

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:49 PM   #4

Make sure that the lens is set to the "A" setting (and has an A setting). That will allow the camera to meter. Some lenses have a button to push or else are somewhat hard to move over (or off) the A setting (so you don't do it accidentally). If it has an A setting (and lenses designated with an "A" do), you won't need to push a button to meter - the camera will be able to handle everything.

If it is set to anything else (such as f22 or f8 etc.), or if the lens doesn't have an "A" setting, then you'll have to go into the menu system, under custom settings (don't remember which one), and change it to allow the use of the aperture ring (default is "no"). That's when you'll need to use the M mode, set the aperture on the lens, then push the AE-L button for the camera to temporarily stop down the lens and meter. But you shouldn't have to do that if the lens has an "A" setting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:16 PM   #5

Hi manteiv,

Welcome to the forum!

You should have little problem using an A series lens. The camera is capable of all auto exposure functions, and the only real limitation is the lack of Auto Focus. You can use any of the metering modes with an A lens, shutter priority, aperture priority, Program, or Auto Pict.

For an A series lens, you do not have to activate "Allow aperture ring" in the menu, but if you've already set it, there's no need to set it back. It's the first thing most Pentax users set up in the menus, and there is no downside to leaving it there. Make sure that the aperture ring on the lens is set to the "A" setting -- you should be able to lock it there by depressing the little button next to the "A" and rotating the ring. It should lock there until you depress the button again.

When the body is set to AF, the shutter will not fire unless the green hexagon "focus indicator" is lit solid (as opposed to blinking) in the viewfinder. If set to MF, the shutter should fire even if the lens is totally unfocused. You can use this difference to your advantage in some situations.

By setting the camera to AF and using a manual focus lens, you can use a "feature" that is commonly called "focus trap" by older-timers, and "catch in focus" by newer users. You depress the shutter button fully before getting focus lock (the shutter will not fire, because in AF mode, it won't allow the shutter to actuate until a focus lock is achieved), then rotate the focus ring -- the shutter will fire as soon as the subject is in focus. You can also set up the camera on a tripod, set up the focus at a specific distance, then anything entering the frame at this distance (and thus in focus) will fire the shutter without you touching the camera again.

The phenomenon of the "loose" zoom ring is relatively common, and is usually called "zoom creep". Some lenses have an external tension screw located under the rubber sleeve, but I think that on older lenses, I'd rather not take the chance of tearing or stretching the rubber sleeve by removing it, so I just live with it. If you are setting up a tripod shot with the camera tilted either up or down, you can use a rubber band to keep the zoom ring in the correct position, but this will get in the way of normal operation, so it's only a temporary fix.

Be sure to take some pics using your bargain lens and post them -- we like pic posts here. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
My 80-200mm is just a "K" no auto aperture "A" and is a bit harder to use but still works
Hi Hans,

This has nothing to do with your post, but I wanted to also welcome you to the forum!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:19 AM   #7

Thanks for all your replies, it helps alot clarifying lots of questions I had.

I navigated through the menu and changed the Aperture Ring setting. It was initially set to ''prohibited'' so I changed it to ''permitted''

I also was able to press that tiny button on the aperture ring of the lens to release its locking mechanism and rotate the aperture ring. So if my understanding is correct, I should leave the Aperture ring to the locked ''A'' position unless I want to go fully manual right?

Also I have another question about the aperture preview (that icon on the ON/OFF dial). By rotating the dial to that position, is-it supposed to allow you to preview the depth of view at a given aperture setting? I rotated it and heard a little click but it did not seem to change anything. I did not see any difference through the viewfinder with that function activated or not. I must be missing something here
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
So if my understanding is correct, I should leave the Aperture ring to the locked ''A'' position unless I want to go fully manual right?
Correct. Leaving the aperture ring set to "A" allows the camera to control the aperture.

Quote:
Also I have another question about the aperture preview (that icon on the ON/OFF dial). By rotating the dial to that position, is-it supposed to allow you to preview the depth of view at a given aperture setting? I rotated it and heard a little click but it did not seem to change anything. I did not see any difference through the viewfinder with that function activated or not. I must be missing something here
I'm not positive for the K110, but on the K100 there's two ways to use that feature. The first one is called "digital preview" and essentially takes a picture that you can look at on the LCD to check your settings (but there's no way to save it if you really like it). That's the default setting on the K100.

You have to go through the custom menu and set the feature to optical preview. That will temporarily stop down the lens so you can check the depth of view. That you see through the viewfinder. If you are using the lens wide open, you won't see any difference. If you have the aperture set for something like f16 (with an A lens, use the Av mode and set the camera to the aperture), then push the switch over to preview - the viewfinder will get very dark and you'll (barely) be able to see how much greater depth of field you'll have (and also how little light will be coming through the lens).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:23 AM   #9

If you are going to use catch-in-focus, you need to set the camera on AF even though it is a manual lens. Learned the hard way.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote