Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:29 PM   #11

Interesting efforts - the picture does do well as a b&w.

I took this at the Honanki Heritage Site, Coconino National Forest just outside of Sedona Arizona. We visited both Honanki and Palatki Ruins yesterday, Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well two days before. Today we took a bit of a hike and tomorrow we'll drive through Oak Creek Canyon on our way back to Las Vegas, then home. We've enjoyed our time here in Sedona, it's certainly a beautiful place to visit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:16 PM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
OK - how did you do that? I managed to get them so they weren't bright yellow (they were in the original), but couldn't manage to blend them in as well as you did. The one on the right looks like you might have cloned out (and did an excellent job of it, better than I probably would have managed) but how did you do the one on the left? The little bit of outline left is hardly noticeable, I'm really impressed!
I used the clone stamp tool in PSE8 with a very small radius and tried to match the color of the rock in between the rays of sun. I did a rushed job this morning and thought I could improve it if I spent a bit more time. Here is another more refined effort. I also adjusted the contrast a bit by blending in a duplicate layer with the "multiply" effect and added a touch of sharpening.

I still think the spots of flare really call out the fact that the sun in streaming into the view and IMHO do not cause a distratction. Very nice capture by the way!
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:00 AM   #13

Very, very nice job - I'm going to go back and try it again with the full sized version. I'm really impressed with what you did here. Thanks very much!

I was actually surprised when I saw the picture(s) - I was trying to avoid lens flare, but knew that at I wasn't steady enough to not get any and still get the view with a very slight edge of the cliff wall, enough so you can see that the ruins are in an arch. I wasn't expecting the sun beams - I didn't see them at all when I was taking the picture. They were a very welcome surprise when I looked at the raw files. Photomatix managed to handle them very nicely through the HDR process.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:53 PM   #14

Lovely, Harriet. I was trying to read this thread on my phone today and it just wasn't doing it justice. I think both are fine. I see them, but they aren't majorly distracting to me.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:09 AM   #15

Awesome photo - both the impressive subject and the great handling. I too did not find the bits of flare distracting, but am impressed with Jelpee's job of removing them.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:41 PM   #16

Thanks Patty and Mole for the compliments. I was surprised that Sedona turned out to be rather difficult to photograph, harder than I had expected. Even though it's winter, there's still a huge dynamic range and I found myself using lots of HDR because of this.