Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:39 PM   #1

Default How distracting?

What do you think of this picture? There's a serious fault that I tried to mitigate, rather than remove. I can't clone it out very well, I can't crop it out, so I tried to deal with it as best I could. Do you think I should just forget about this picture? Other than the fault, I really like it and was really pleased with it (K-7, DA 10-17, HDR).

I would be interested in everyone's reaction, and whether the fault is still too distracting/beyond redemption.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:01 PM   #2

Personally I like it.Looks like sunrays shining on the past.Like they did way back then..like they still do now..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 6:56 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

If the fault that you refer to are the 2 spots of flare, I do not find it distracting. I tried a quick bit of PP...does this look better?
Attached Images

Last edited by Wingman; Dec 4, 2009 at 7:31 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:42 AM   #4

OK - how did you do that? I managed to get them so they weren't bright yellow (they were in the original), but couldn't manage to blend them in as well as you did. The one on the right looks like you might have cloned out (and did an excellent job of it, better than I probably would have managed) but how did you do the one on the left? The little bit of outline left is hardly noticeable, I'm really impressed!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:16 AM   #5

I found the aperture ghost images to be fairly hard to see at first glance, so it didn't seem to me to be that big a deal, although jlpee's version does make it cleaner after you look at the photo for a while.

The problem from my perspective is that I like the extra contrast in Harriet's version with the ghost images better than the flatter version with the ghost images cloned out!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:19 AM   #6

I am a huge fan of ancient Puebloan ruins. Where was this taken? My experience is mostly in Mesa Verde. I like better in black and white for the mysterious, aged quality.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Here is my effort. A little rough, but maybe better.
Attached Images

jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:27 PM   #8

I'm very impressed with all the efforts to remove the spots caused by lens flare, and you've all done a much better job than I could have. but I have to say, the flare in the original did not bother me at all. I noticed it immediately, but with the sun beams coming down from the upper right corner, it's obvious that the sun is bright, and is just barely off the edge of the pic. (I hope I'm right about that!) The lens flare seems prefectly natural, and not at all distracting.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I am a huge fan of ancient Puebloan ruins. Where was this taken? My experience is mostly in Mesa Verde. I like better in black and white for the mysterious, aged quality.
I like the B+W version also for the same reason....adds to the mystery of the ancient ruins....very Coast to Coast radio..
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:31 PM   #10

I really like it too Harriet. I dot think it was all that distracting but, I do like jelpee's version better. Nice work both of you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote