Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:06 PM   #1

Default what SD memory cards for the Pentax K110D?

is there a limitation on the memory card size?

I have a 1GB SD card and it works. I tried 4GB and 8GB which are the High Capacity type. The camera complaints about a memory card error

I cannot buy the 1GB anymore, all are 4GB and more
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:31 PM   #2

You might need to check for a firmware update that will let you use SDHC cards. My old *istDL had a firmware update that added support.

Edit:

Looks like firmware 1.01 for the K110D added SDHC support, latest firmware is 1.02:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support...20060914e.html
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the firmware update info. I didn't realize there was a firmware release, I have never updated since the purchase of the camera. I must have the orginal version 1.0 of the firmware.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:44 PM   #4

I have a K100D and it does have a 2GB limit on the size of the media it will write to. This is due to the directory structure used. The firmware update will increase this size.

SD cards of various sizes are still available. I would suggest that you use a reputable online vendor and NOT ebay. I have used Kingston, SanDisk, PNY, and Transend.

1GB SD cards
http://www.google.com/products?q=1gb+sd+card&hl=en&aq=f

2GB SD cards
http://www.google.com/products?q=2gb...N&hl=en&tab=wf

hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:22 PM   #5

To elaborate on that, standard SD cards use FAT16 file allocation structure which has an upper limit of 2gb. SDHC uses FAT32 which has a much larger upper limit. Your further ahead updating your firmware to support SDHC and getting a large SDHC card, especially if you already have one or two kicking around.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I have a K100D and it does have a 2GB limit on the size of the media it will write to. This is due to the directory structure used. The firmware update will increase this size.

SD cards of various sizes are still available. I would suggest that you use a reputable online vendor and NOT ebay. I have used Kingston, SanDisk, PNY, and Transend.

1GB SD cards
http://www.google.com/products?q=1gb+sd+card&hl=en&aq=f

2GB SD cards
http://www.google.com/products?q=2gb...N&hl=en&tab=wf

hope that helps...
I'm using Toshiba 8 G/Byte SDHC cards in my K100D with no problems. Firmware is V1.02, I believe this is the latest available for the 100D. Camera indicates 999 shots available in top quality.jpg or around 733 shots in RAW. ... Jack

Last edited by jachol; Dec 8, 2009 at 5:05 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
I'm using Toshiba 8 G/Byte SDHC cards in my K100D with no problems. Firmware is V1.02, I believe this is the latest available for the 100D. Camera indicates 999 shots available in top quality.jpg or around 733 shots in RAW. ... Jack
I updated my firmware to 1.02. I am using a Kodak 8GB SDHC card. The camera says 999 pics at but I think in reality the card can store more than that. Is-it because the LCD display of the counter is limited to 3 digits?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:50 AM   #8

More than likely. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:54 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
I updated my firmware to 1.02. I am using a Kodak 8GB SDHC card. The camera says 999 pics at but I think in reality the card can store more than that. Is-it because the LCD display of the counter is limited to 3 digits?
It looks like the remaining shots indicator is limited to 3 digits. It's labeled 12 on this image of the K100D viewfinder display layout.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:32 PM   #10

Yes - my hubby used to get a kick out of taking a bunch of pictures with the K100 and having the counter never move off of 999. He quickly got to the point of not bothering to look at the counter any more and didn't notice that the same card doesn't go half as far with the K20!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote