Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:45 PM   #1

Default While you wait...

Had to take our comforter to the laudromat because it wouldn't fit in our washer and dryer... while I was waiting, I decided to snap a couple shots in the parking lot. C&C welcomed...

Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:05 PM   #2

One more...

Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:21 PM   #3

Is the first one is an HDR? I noticed Photomatix does some strange things when you have lights that are blown out when I was shooting some HDR night light scenes. The stop lights that were blown out, much like what you can see on the left central part of your picture. Not sure how you can handle it in this picture. Also, bright bluish light - you might try cloning out the blown out part of the light - use the bluish light around it. I did something like that with a stop-light and it worked out very well. Other than those two very small things, I love the first picture, the car is very cool! I actually like the first one better than the second one, though there's not a thing wrong with the second one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4

I also like the first one -- it has a very dynamic feel to it. As a general rule, I don't like electrical lines in photos, but in this case the power lines pull the eye from either edge of the frame right to the car. Very nicely done. My only quibble with that shot, and it's a very minor issue, is that I'd suggest using a wider aperture for a shallower depth of field. The box truck behind the car is fairly sharply in focus, and I find that a bit distracting.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5

Yeah... they are both HDR... It was my first real attempt at HDR. Decided to go out and get Photomatix because so many people like the option of having their cars shot in HDR. These were a couple tests... each from 5 shots (-2.7, -1.3, 0, +1.3, +2.7)

With my attempt on the first shot, I had "remove ghost artifacts" checked and it made some wierd things with some of the hot points (passing cars, headlight, door reflections, etc). I redid the photo without that option and a slightly different crop.

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:04 AM   #6

Here's another HDR done in Photomatix... however, this one was from one pic that I changed the exposure of 5 times in CS4 (-3,-1.5,0,+1.5,+3)

Before:

After:
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:22 PM   #7

Your second version of the first one is better - think I'd still clone out the now smaller white center in the bluish light, but that's just my taste. Otherwise, it's much better.

I can't completely decide what I think about this latest one. The original picture doesn't need HDR - the dynamic range is fine the way it is. On the other hand, the HDR version has very rich colors, and looks more like an advertisement shoot. But in some ways I think it's a bit over-the-top (my taste). So I'd love to hear everyone else's opinion of it, because I suspect I'm going to be in the minority on this one. In any case, from a technical point of view it's very nicely done, and the HDR does bring out lots of extra detail.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:16 PM   #8

I didn't think anything was wrong with the first shot SOOC, but I wanted to see if Photomatix would work on artificially exposure compensation. I think the HDR shot looks a lot like a sunrise shot... the colors are very brilliant, too much so for my personal tastes as well, but I was just playing and thought I would share and get others opinions. This seems to be a big trend in auto photography these days.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:20 PM   #9

3rd Edit: Removed hotspot in middle of bluish light...

(Blame microsoft for any image degradation, edit was done in MSPaint )
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:56 PM   #10

I'm not sure whether it's because I'm on the laptop or what, but I'm not real crazy about any of them. Maybe it's just the HDR. I'm having to really focus on the images. I think maybe there's just too much background stuff for my tastes. I do think the white spot in the blue light does look better w/o the bright spot.

But, don't go on my opinion. It's probably just me right now. Tomorrow I might feel differently

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote