Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:13 AM   #1

Default Pentax K110D sensor cleaning question

I have a consistent dust speckle (I think) which is always present at the same spot on all my images. I am thinking of cleaning the sensor.

In the menu of the camera, there is an item called 'sensor cleaning'

what is the best way to clean the sensor? should I shoot compressed air or using Qtips with Alcohol maybe?
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:59 AM   #2

NEVER use compressed air.

Start by using the Sensor Cleaning option in the camera. If that does not work then use a blower (rocket blowers work great - more powerful than cheap ones but not enough to damage things - compressed air WILL damage things).

If that doesn't work, the next step is a sensor cleaning brush.

If that doesn't work then use a wet technique. I wouldn't recommend alcohol, get fluid specifically designed for sensor cleaning. If you google "Copper Hill method" you'll fiind a kit that works very well. You do NOT want to damage your sensor so I don't recommend household fluids / q-tips etc.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
I have a consistent dust speckle (I think) which is always present at the same spot on all my images. I am thinking of cleaning the sensor.

In the menu of the camera, there is an item called 'sensor cleaning'

what is the best way to clean the sensor? should I shoot compressed air or using Qtips with Alcohol maybe?
The sensor cleaning option in the menu will shake the sensor to dislodge the dust which usually gets picked up by a stick pad located below the sensor. That's the way it's supposed to work anyway. If it doesn't come off by doing that, then your other option would be to use a rocket blower and blow the dust off manually. It's not recommended to use compressed air, and I can vouch for this. Sometimes the canned air blows the propellant out and that creates an even bigger mess on the sensor which is a pain to clean. The rocket blower is essentially a football shaped puffer. The combination of the camera's own sensor cleaning shake and the rocket blower should be enough to get regular dust off the sensor. I'm sure someone has a link to a sensor cleaning guide as well that they can post.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4

The OP has a K110, not a later camera with SR. I have a K100 and I think the K110 is the same - the sensor cleaning option is the mirror lock-up option for cleaning the sensor, not like the K20 (I think the K10, too) which had a separate shaking option for cleaning. Come to think of it, the K110 doesn't have SR, so it can't shake.

Definitely follow JohnG's advice and start with a rocket blower (I know someone here who used to use their wife's turkey baster, but a rocket blower is better). I've used one and have yet to need anything beyond that (but I'm also careful when I change lenses). Someday I might have to go beyond that, but haven't felt the need yet.

P.S. Make sure your batteries are fresh so the camera won't unexpectedly shut down in the middle of cleaning. You'll just turn the camera off when you are done and want the mirror to drop. If you are using a rocket blower, it's nice to have the camera opening facing down so the dust or whatever falls out of the camera.

Last edited by mtngal; Dec 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:28 PM   #5

Just another thought, are you sure it's not a spot on your lens? For a while I was having an issue with my K100D and it took me a while to realize it was on the back side of the lens. I'd been keeping the camera facing down, but the lens picked up something when changing lenses.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:51 PM   #6

thanks for all your answers. I will have a closer look tonite whether the dust is on the lens or on the sensor itself.

I am going to search for that rocket dustbuster, I am not familiar with that, any camera shop should have this for sale right?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:03 PM   #7

I had posted this link in another section on this forum but it might be of use for some background information, methods, etc. for sensor cleaning.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:31 PM   #8

Yes, any camera store should carry them, especially one that sells digital SLR cameras. They are worth every penny.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:15 AM   #9

I successfully got rid of the dust speckle. I used the camera setting to lock the mirror up.

I did not have time to shop for the proper rocket blower so I used one of those pump made for pumping/suction babies noses that I used for my kids.

Like Mtngal mentioned somewhere in one of her threads, I took care to tip the camera opening down so the dust can fall out

all is well now, no more dark spots on my pics