Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:47 PM   #1

Default Holla Bend NWR

This morning the forecast called for early fog to burn off and be a partially sunny day, so Brenda and I decided to head north about 70 miles to the Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge on the Arkansas River. This refuge was established as a feed and rest stop for migratory waterfowl, but is a great year-round spot for bird photography. Its success with the migratories? Judge for yourself. This is only a SMALL slice of the cloud of snow geese that passed directly over us

When they began passing directly overhead, I chose discretion over valor and dived into the car, lest I be a victim to a missile attack, but I did snap a couple of photos.

As you can see from both photos, the promised clear skies never materialized and it was grey and foggy all day. The lack of light really hurt these photos, but It's still a thrill to me to get to shoot a bald eagle in the wild. There was an adult and two juveniles in this tree. Long shot with the K-7 and the Bigma.

The adult didn't stick around long, but I got a couple of flight shots.

Finally, you'll pardon me for not getting closer for this shot, taken from the driver's seat through an open passenger side window. Not something you see too often close-up, or at least you hope not. My wife was calling me names inappropriate for the forum when I rolled down her window and stopped to try to get the shot......something about her being first in the line of fire....hmmmm...

By the way, despite nervousness at our presence, he decided to retreat into the cover of some old cornstalks.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2

Nice pictures, I like the snow geese and know what you mean about seeing eagles in the wild. As far as your black and white fellow - I understand they are actually nice animals. When I was a kid one got in our basement. My folks called someone to get it out and whoever trapped it suggested that we get it de-scented and keep it as a pet, since they can make very nice pets. I thought that would be a great idea since they really are pretty, but my parents were NOT interested. I don't think it's legal to do that any more now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:33 AM   #3

#1 is an incredible sight! It must be wild to see them all land as a flock.

I don't blame you for ducking back in the car when they flew over. Years ago I was driving in my convertible at Cape May NJ and took a direct hit on the head from a Seagull. I have blamed my hair loss on that event ever since. LOL

I can share your excitement at getting a shot of the Eagles. I have never been close enough to get one. Nice job of BIF with that heavy lens, hand held.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Dec 14, 2009 at 6:42 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:37 AM   #4

Wow! So many all at once. Amazing. I can hear them all now.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:30 PM   #5

Oops...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:30 PM   #6

LOL, Paul, the skunk shot reminds me of the time when I was 9/10 years old and lived on a farm in Az. I was carrying two buckets of milk back to the house after milking our two cows and came face to face with one. I was lucky, he let me go on by. don't know which one of us was scared the most.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:35 PM   #7

Great shots Paul. There's a huge numbeer of snow gese that pass through western Vermont every spring and fall. I live on the very eastern edge of the state, and have never had the good fortune to be in the Champlain Valley when the geese are migrating. I wonder if any of the ones visiting your area passed through Vermont a few weeks ago.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:30 PM   #8

Paul - that first shot is amazing - so much bird life in one spot!!
Glad you were also able to spot those wonderful eagles, and share your discovery here.

If you can stand one more Skunk tale - when I was very young, someone told me that if you held up a skunk by its tail, it couldn't spray you...
(it didn't work!)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote