Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Night Panorama

A while ago I acquired a FA31Ltd that I have been trying to use for multiple frame panoramas stitched together. Initially, I got carried away with the speed of the lens and my DoF paid the price (along with a soft focus) - and I was not happy with the results.

So, I finally had some additional time this evening and was able to get some shots. I really missed last night's absolutely specular sunset, so I made due with this evenings. The result is the sharp images I was expecting - however, I did forget to reset the camera to ISO 100 and left it in automatic, so these are at ISO 400. The pano is 9 frames across or 16K by 4.5K, f5.6. f5.6 is the sweet spot for the 31, along with minimum vignetting and CA.

As a comparison I took a shot with the 10-17FE at 10mm, f8 a bit too late to get the sky color I was after, but you can see that each of them are 180 degrees wide.

I also used a different stitcher that did a wonderful job in blending the sky across the stitched frames. Did much better than Autostitch.

Also, there is about 10 to 15 minutes between the two shots, so I lost the really blue iridescent sky that I was after...

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; Dec 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2

... and here is the same shot with the 10-17... They are both 1000 pixels wide, so they should line up pretty well.
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:40 PM   #3

As I was looking at these, the image from the 10-17 had a better composure primary due to the foreground. This is all about the focal length and the amount of height you're able to draw in. So I went back to the archieves, and had an image taken a couple of weeks ago with the 12-24 at 24. Slightly better, but I am finding that if you do not have the head on the tripod level, as you pan around, you get a spherical effect and thus not a level horizon. So I have some additional thinking to do on that aspect.
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:44 AM   #4

You may have lost the blue in the sky, but it looks like some stars are showing in the second one.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:34 PM   #5

Very different moods, but all beautiful, and beautifully captured. The sky in the first one is amazing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Very nice.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:51 PM   #7

They came out nicely. I never manage to get this right when I try it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:34 PM   #8

It would be fun to try a similar panorama in HDR, even in-camera using the K7.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:49 AM   #9

Morning gfmucci, There are several problems with trying to use HDR in this particular setting. Applying HDR here would not necessary bring out the sky any better - my principal aim - as I was really trying to silhouette the hills with the lights in the valley.

What I think HDR would actually do, would try to gather sufficient light to illuminate the foreground - exactly what I am not trying to do. Also, this is taking and stitching 8 images together, and it takes about a minute (2 to 10 seconds per frame + 2 second mirror up + repositioning time), and in that time the ability to get a consistent set of light across all the frames is lost.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:46 PM   #10

Hey IO,
I know I posted a reply to this thread the same day you posted it but... I must have forgotten to hit the submit button!
Well anyway, I like them. especially the first one. Well done.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote