Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:04 AM   #11

Glad you asked what a vortex is. It actually an photographic acronym for Very Odd Radiant Terrifically Exposed Xtraterrestrial. Note the alien spaceship escaping in the upper right hand corner. I happen to like the shot and made it even more radical.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:44 AM   #12

Living in Arizona, I do understand your reference to vortexes. There is a whole community of folks up in Sedona devoted to to that, and we hear about them from time to time. They also claim that there is a UFO portal up there.....

On the other note, the Arizona Highways magazine has a wonderful website....
http://www.arizonahighways.com/
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:09 PM   #13

Before reading this thread, I knew nothing of Sedona's vortices, but I I did know what a vortex is. (Believe it or not, there is a device called a "Vortex Genie," and I used one while doing lab work on my senior thesis many years ago.) For whatever it's worth, I got the joke, and I like your shot. It really does seem extra-terrestrial.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:32 PM   #14

Very cool shot.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:29 AM   #15

Without the lens flare the shot was a ho-hum IR. In this case the lens flare and made the shot. I like the other worldly look to it.

I also like Penolta's treatment.

I had never heard of the Sedona vortex thanks for sharing the legend.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:43 AM   #16

I find it interesting how few people are familiar with this aspect of the area. Lou - you are being too kind to the picture when you say that without the lens flare the shot is ho-hum. Without the lens flare, the shot is downright boring and I wouldn't have bothered with it at all. I only have a vague idea of what you can do with IR beyond having light trees and vegetation.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:12 PM   #17

Hi Harriet,

I like this shot! Lens flare as a creative component in photography is something that I've really been thinking about since seeing the new Star Trek movie where they purposely introduced flare into just about every scene using flashlights and spots just barely off camera. Up to just recently, I've always tried to avoid it at all costs, but now I'm looking at it quite a bit differently. . .

I also like the crops eliminating the lighter area in the lower left -- much better, IMO.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:18 PM   #18

OK, so I couldn't help myself, I just had to play with it.
hope you don't mind Harriet.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:06 PM   #19

I'm probably not thinking of the same things, but I do recall seeing lots of vortices when I lived in Arizona. Mostly, we called them dust devils. Very common in the desert. (also called Djinn or genies in other parts of the world) Where I live now, we have snow devils, but I haven't caught one with the camera yet. Mostly because it is hard to work up enthusiasm for going outside when the conditions for snow devils are right. (wind. blowing snow, and temps around zero (F) or less).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:08 PM   #20

GW - don't know if I mind or not, right now there's a lock that says "content protected by owner". I never object to anyone playing around with my pictures, especially ones like this that are just for fun anyway. So unprotect it and let us all see what you came up with (I assume it's better than the lock graphic).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote