Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:36 PM   #1

Default Sedona Vortex - Photo Proof

Sedona is known for its vortexes. I'm not exactly sure what a vortex really is, but I think it's supposed to be a place where energy from deep within the earth escapes to the surface. I might not understand, but here's photographic proof of all that energy radiating out of this vortex!

Or maybe not. Taken with the K100, kit lens, R72 filter. You can't see much through the R72 filter, so I was just pointing the camera in the general direction I wanted and pushing the shutter.

I've been trying to get enthusiastic about my pictures from Sedona, but it's been hard. The scenery is beautiful and I took a couple of good shots (some already posted), but they all tend to look similar after a while. What can you do/say about lots of red rock? I've been wanting to come up with a thread that's more serious and throw this one at the end, as I don't think it really deserves it's own thread, but it doesn't look like I'm going to come up with anything. My pictures seemed to be rather uninspired. So this is just for fun.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:56 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry I don't get it...is the energy captured as the serious case of lens flare? Sorry, but I don't think I can fix it with any PP this time.

On a related note, I know what you mean about the scenery begining to look a lot alike following a trip. I found that to be the case after my visit to Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon NP's. How many images of the canyon does one need??? I think the solution is to photograph in changing lighting conditions. At Grand Canyon NP I was able to photograph in the light of the setting sun which was very nice. However, after all was said and done, I decided to keep only about 20 images out of 200 from Bryce Canyon NP and about the same ratio from Grand Canyon NP.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:02 PM   #3

I've never been to Arizona (on my list of places to go), but I do have a subscription to Arizona Highways. Don't know if this magazine is available at the newsstand, but the pictures of Arizona are absolutely beautiful in this magazine.

If a copy is easily accessible it might give you some ideas. You were mentioning that expanses of red rock gets to be the same old...same old after awhile.

I don't know if you have a macro lens with you...but some macro shots might be interesting.

Some thoughts.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:36 PM   #4

That sure is some "energetic" lens flare!! Thanks for your persistence in photographing and sharing this scenery - some great results!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:15 PM   #5

Could be I just have a strange sense of what I think is interesting but, I kinda like it. Has a sort of alien feel to it, all you need is a couple of alien creatures and a spaceship sitting on that flat rock.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:46 PM   #6

I guess the Sedona phenomena isn't as widely understood as I thought. Or else no one shares my rather wacky sense of humor.

There are those that believe that Sedona has spiritual vortexes (vortices) and there are tour companies that run special tours to these sites. If you google Sedona Vortex, you'll find all kinds of information - it's become big tourist business for the town. I thought the other-worldliness of this picture was rather fitting for the location in a humorous way. But it doesn't seem to translate well - guess it's like one of those jokes that you have to be there to understand.

At least GW saw the same thing I did in the picture. Oh well - back to the drawing board...
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:15 PM   #7

I got it...a former co-worker was all about her spiritual journeys in Sedona and the energy.

Cool pic BTW.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:16 PM   #8

Now after reading your second post with the Sedona vortex explanation and reviewing the pix again.... I see what you mean. It looks like a death ray is going to pulverize that rock.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Sedona is known for its vortexes. I'm not exactly sure what a vortex really is, but I think it's supposed to be a place where energy from deep within the earth escapes to the surface. I might not understand, but here's photographic proof of all that energy radiating out of this vortex!
I like this picture - it is a fun picture that has an other-worldly quality about it, but the vortex idea doesn't work, because a vortex has to be spinning (like a whirlpool or a tornado). The light effect reminds me of either a science-fiction defense weapon (a pulse canon) firing at an invading spacecraft, or the alien ship firing on the planet.

With that in mind, I did a crop to emphasize the weaponryand darkened the light area in the lower left (which was a distraction, as it is in the original).

Name:  aliens-1.jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  83.8 KB

Last edited by penolta; Dec 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #10

Your edit is much better than my original, penolta - I really like what you did here. I'm going back to re-edit the original - and maybe I should title it something about aliens blowing up a Sedona vortex, to protect their own source of hidden power?